Goldust Talks Cody Rhodes, Evolution Of Goldust, If He Would Have Worked In Today’s WWE
Arda Ocal of theScore Television Network, Baltimore Sun and Layfield Report spoke with former WWE Superstar Goldust (Dustin Rhodes). Highlights:
- His opinion of “Cody’s Moustache” and WWE’s youth movement
- Talking about how far the idea of “Cody Rhodes vs Goldust” at WrestleMania went, and Vince McMahon’s reaction: “It was discussed several times. I took it to Vince’s attention many times and this was like months before and almost a year before things like that. Each time he was like no, second time no not going to do that, third time no, not yet, he left that open for me with not yet, it gave me a little hope.”
- His early days in WCW and WWF as “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes:
You know me and Steve Austin had some knock down drag out matches in the ring and a lot of blood was spilled things like that, we had some great matches. I think probably the feud I had with him was marked my favourite.
- The “blading” dilemma that led to his firing from WCW in the mid 90s
- Initially being uncomfortable with the Goldust:
“As far as the work it took me about 6 months of Vince saying I’m going to stand behind you and no matter what. I don’t want you to get head strong, if you’re stressed out just give me a call if you need to talk, and I did on several occasions. I really got no direction on how to be more androgynous and I was just learning how to be a heel.”
-Working with the Undertaker in 1996, particularly their Casket Match
- Wearing women’s undergarments at WrestleMania 12, performing “CPR” on Ahmed Johnson, how far he was willing to take the Goldust character and how Savio Vega was a big influence
- Ideas behind the weekly wardrobe changes and how that evolution came about
- How the “stuttering” evolution of Goldust began as a rib backstage
- The concept behind Se7en in WCW and if there were any long terms plans for the character
- Being on fantastic terms with his father today:
“Oh we’re on the best terms now, I’ll never let that happen again. As far as children out there that hate their moms and dads just get over it because you get one dad and one mom, you know suck it up, learn something.”
- Would the Goldust character have worked in today’s WWE?
Trivia 1998 – WCW Nitro achieved it’s highest ever TV rating with a 6.0. Less than 2 months ...
Find out where Daniel Bryan's WWE World Heavyweight Championship victory falls on this edition of WW...
- Chris Jericho began filming Comedy Central's "Code5" show this past week. Jericho plays a characte...
- Former WCW and WWE star Konnan had hip replacement surgery on August 21st but was released from th...
- In the video below, Bill Apter of 1wrestling.com talks with Sinn Bodhi about what has happened wit...