ROH/NJPW War Of The Worlds Results – May 17, 2014
- Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling held their second supershow earlier tonight from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. The show was a sell-out with 2,600 people in attendance, and featured the stars of ROH vs. NJPW. The following are the results from the show.
(Pre-show) Caprice Coleman def. Adam Page. It was intended to be Caprice Coleman vs. Silas Young, but Silas came out and said he wasn’t willing to wrestle because he’s a real man and if he isn’t given opportunity, he’ll take it. Caprice Coleman called out Jimmy Jacobs and The DECADE for attacking former partner Cedric Alexander, Jacobs came out and said he’d give him a fight which led to Page attacking.
(1) Bullet Club started out the show by coming out and talking about how good they are and how this was their show. They were interrupted by Kazuchika Okada and Gedo, Karl Anderson translating for Gedo and saying that he thinks Okada can beat Styles. Michael Elgin then comes out and suggests they have a Triple Threat to determine who the better man is. Nigel McGuinness comes out, speaks to NJPW’s chairman who is sitting ringside and says if all three agree they have it, they all agree and the match is made.
(2) ACH, Matt Taven & Tommaso Ciampa def. The Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) and Takkaki Wanatabe when Taven pins Wanatabe after the Climax.
(3) The DECADE (BJ Whitmer & Roderick Strong) def. Gedo & Jado when Strong pins Gedo following a Sick Kick. Post-match Cedric Alexander, who was pulled from the card dud to injury runs out and tries to get at The DECADE, but is held back by security and referees.
(4) Jay Lethal w/ Truth Martini def. KUSHIDA to retain the ROH World TV Championship. Truth Martini was sent to the back halfway through. Very good match with Lethal getting the win after a Lethal Injection.
(5) Bullet Club (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) def. The Briscoes to retain the IWGP Tag Team Championships. Match featured a lot of brawling. Bullet Club picked up the win on Mark after hitting their Magic Killer double team finishing maneuver. Post-match they shake hands, but Jay Briscoe grasps onto Doc Gallows’ and Mark has to back Jay away.
(6) Shinsuke Nakamura def. Kevin Steen after two BomYe knees. Match of the night to this point. Crowd was somewhat split between the two but obviously in Steen’s favor. Post-match Kevin Steen tries to say he is taking a few months off to rethink his career and to be at home for his wife and kids, but is interrupted by Silas Young. Young says Steen is a pussy and that he hopes his son doesn’t grow up to be a pussy like him. Steen attacks Young but referees and officials intervene, Steen jumping over the top rope to get to Young but taking out every referee and official instead as Young walks away.
(7) Hiroshi Tanahashi def. Michael Bennett with High Fly Flow. This match included a lot of interference from Maria Kanellis, but Tanahashi was able to wave it off and pick up the win.
(8) reDRagon w/ UFC’s “Filthy” Tom Lalowr def. The Young Bucks to become the NEW ROH World Tag Team Champions. Match of the night, some interference from Lawlor during the match but The Young Bucks were able to get in some offence on him. reDRagon pick up the win when Kyle O’Reilly makes Matt Jackson submit to the Armbar.
(9) Adam Cole def. Jushin “Thunder” Liger to retain the ROH World Championship. Cole won via Figure Four Leglock. Post-match the crowd chanted, “thank you Liger” as Liger tried to offer Cole a handshake. Cole raised the ROH World Championship and walked away instead.
(Main Event) AJ Styles def. Michael Elgin and Kazuchika Okada to retain the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Very good match, crowd was split on who they wanted to win. Styles picked up the win after Okada hit Elgin with the Rainmaker Lariat, he took him out and then hit the Styles Clash on Elgin for the three. As Styles is celebrating Adam Cole comes out from the back and hits him with the ROH World Championship, also hitting Okada and Michael Elgin, shouting “I’m the best in the world!” to what we thought was to end the iPPV.
An advertisement for ROH’s first live PPV Best in the World plays, but at the end we see Christopher Daniels at a bar drinking an appletini. Daniels says he is coming home to ROH, and that he isn’t coming alone, as someone enters from the left of the screen but has a “Censored” logo over their face. Daniels says he and his “mystery partner” are coming, at Best in the World.
PWMania.com is a subscription free website and relies on advertising and donations from people like you. If everyone reading this donates a few dollars, we can be fully funded for another year. Thank you so much and Happy Holidays! - PWMania.com Team =)