*Spoilers* WWE Smackdown Taping Results For 7/29
ProWrestling.net readers Wesley Pipes, Jim McConville, and Drew Shat are at the WWE Smackdown taping in Philadelphia, Pa. and are passing along updates that have been combined into one report. You must refresh the page for the latest updates.
Big pop for Booker T and lots of heat for Michael Cole when the commentators were introduced. Smackdown opened with Triple H making his entrance. He cut a promo on the state of the World Heavyweight Championship. Christian interrupted and talked about how Teddy Long has tried to run Smackdown into the ground. Hunter said that interrupting him is like slapping him in the face.
Triple H announced Christian vs. Randy Orton in a No Holds Barred Match for SummerSlam.
R-Truth came out and said he was there to continue what they started on Raw. He talked of the conspiracy against him. Triple H announced R-Truth vs Randy Orton for Smackdown, and also announced that Christian vs. John Morrison was up next.
Backstage, Triple H and Teddy Long were interrupted by Zack Ryder. Hunter announced that Ryder will be Long’s new assistant.
1. Christian defeated John Morrison. Christian really played up the heel antics. Morrison looked great in his return match, according to Wesley. There was a botched reversal at one point that looked bad. In the end, Morrison executed a backdrop off the top rope and tried unsuccessfully to follow up with Starship Pain. Christian hit the Killswitch and got the win. Jim labeled it an “excellent TV match.”
Wade Barrett cut a promo regarding Daniel Bryan. Bryan interrupted only to take a cheap shot from Barrett. Bryan countered and made Barrett tap to the LeBell Lock.
Ryder and Long were shown backstage with Mark Henry. Ryder said he would find Henry an opponent. Henry said Long better thank his assistant.
The Nexus vs. The Uso Brothers was advertised for later in the show.
2. Alicia Fox, Rosa Mendes, and Melina defeated Natalya, AJ, and Kaitlyn. AJ has improved, according to Wesley. Fox hit her axe kick on Kaitlyn and got the pin.
There was a Justin Gabriel video that showed him at home in South Africa.
3. Mark Henry beat Bobby Heller. Heller is a local wrestler from the Philly area. Henry destroyed him in a squash with two World Strongest Slams and a killer backbreaker.
Henry grabbed a chair, but Teddy Long stopped him from using it by saying he had a lawsuit pending and no one wants to fight him. Sheamus mades his entrance and said he will fight Henry. Sheamus slapped Henry and then tossed him out of the ring. Sheamus grabbed a chair and Henry retreated.
4. Michael McGillicutty and David Otunga defeated The Uso Brothers to retain the WWE Tag Titles. The Uso Brothers did their tribal dance to no reaction whatsoever. New Nexus came out to Justin Gabriel’s theme song. Weird. The Uso Brothers showed a lot of energy and worked in some double team moves. However, McGillicutty hit his neckbreaker to get the win for his team.
Backstage, Ryder booked Ezekiel Jackson in a handicap match against Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes.
Another pointless Johnny Curtis vignette was shown. Wesley said there have been consistent C.M. Punk chants throughout the show.
R-Truth was interviewed backstage by Matt Striker. He said he’s going to swoop down like a bunch of eagles on a snake when he faces Orton. Wesley labeled it a great promo.
5. Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase beat Ezekiel Jackson in a handicap match. Decent heat for the heels. The paper bag men were out for the crowd. DiBiase started and was getting destroyed. He tagged Cody, who tagged back to Ted. DiBiase applied a sleeper. Zeke picked him up with one arm. Zeke had Cody in the Torture Rack, but Ted broke it up and Cody hit CrossRhodes for the win.
Jinder Mahal and The Great Khali cut a promo from a luxury suite. It was hard to make out what was said since there was great heat and USA chants.
6. R-Truth beat Randy Orton by DQ. Truth came out to a little heat, while Orton got the thunderous ovation. R-Truth received “sucks” chants and sold it by looking pissed. Truth got in a lot of offense and some near falls. Orton came back and then Christian came out. Randy hits a DDT off the ropes and struck the Viper’s Pose.
Truth saw the RKO coming and dipped out of ring. Christian distracted Orton. Truth got his water bottle and hit Orton with it. Orton mocked Truth and drank water. He followed up with a Thesz Press and punches. Orton hit Truth with a chair for a DQ. Christian ran to the stage. Orton hit a pair of RKO’s on Truth on the announcers’ table to big pops.
1. Christian defeated Randy Orton in a Street Fight to retain the World Hvt. Championship. Teddy Long’s music played for roughly five minutes after the previous match before Zack Ryder finally came out and set up the dark match. Christian said Philly does not deserve a Street Fight for the World Heavyweight Championship.
Christian said he hasn’t met one tough person from Philly and he said they will not see a RKO on him tonight. Great heel work by Christian. The Crowd ate it up. In the end, Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase came out and distracted Orton, and Christian rolled up Randy for the pin. Orton hit RKO’s on everyone to close the show.
Drew’s list of Biggest Pops
CM Punk (even though he wasn’t here)
Continue to refresh this page throughout the evening for the latest results.
On a Special Date, but same time, LIVE TONIGHT at 11pm ET, the Wild Talk Radio Network Presents the ...
WWE issued the following statement to PWMania.com regarding reports of why the company chose Santa C...
Hello everybody, and welcome back to the Justin Credible Report exclusively on PWMania.com. Lots to ...
- WWE's Chief Strategy and Financial Officer George Barrios spoke at the UBS Annual Global Media and...
- Here is Tout video of John Cena speaking to the 7th Infantry Division of Joint Base Lewis-McChord ...