Today In Wrestling History- August 24th
1998 – The Monday Night War continued: WCW Monday Nitro defeated WWF Monday Night Raw: 5.2 to 4.7 in the ratings
2010 – WWE released Serena Deeb
2012 – WWE Diva Cameron (Ariane Andrew) was arrested in Tampa, FL and charged with Driving Under The Influence
In 1994, WCW Clash of the Champions XXVIII was held at the Five Seasons Center, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa:
– The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags) defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions Pretty Wonderful (Paul Orndorff & Paul Roma)
– Ricky Steamboat defeated Steve Austin to win the WCW US Title (Steamboat suffered what would become a career-ending back injury)
– Dustin & Dusty Rhodes defeated Bunkhouse Buck & Terry Funk (with Meng & Col. Robert Parker) via DQ
– Antonio Inoki defeated WCW World Television Champion Lord Steven Regal (with Sir William)
– Ric Flair (with Sensuous Sherri) defeated Hulk Hogan (with Jimmy Hart) via countout (Hogan retains the WCW World Heavyweight Title)
In 2003, WWE Summerslam was held at the America West Arena, in Phoenix, Arizona. With an attendance of 16,113:
Sunday Night Heat:
– Matt Hardy defeated Zach Gowen via forfeit
– Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Shannon Moore to retain the WWE Cruiserweight Title
– La Resistance (Rene Dupree & Sylvain Grenier) defeated The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray & D-Von) (with Spike Dudley) to retain the World Tag Team Titles
– The Undertaker defeated A-Train (with Sable)
– Shawn Michaels defeated Eric Bischoff in a Falls Count Anywhere Match
– Eddie Guerrero defeated Chris Benoit, Rhyno & Tajiri in a Fatal Four Way Match to retain the WWE United States Title
– Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar to retain the WWE Title
– Kane defeated Rob Van Dam in a No Holds Barred Match
– Triple H (with Ric Flair) defeated Goldberg, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton, Kevin Nash & Shawn Michaels in an Elimination Chamber Match to retain the World Heavyweight Title
1956 – Eddie Gossett (Graham) & Art Neilson defeated Don & Red McIntyre to win the Georgia NWA World Tag Team Title
1960 – Eric Pederson defeated Joe Scarpa (Chief Jay Strongbow) to win the NWA Gulf Coast Heavyweight Title in Mobile, Alabama
1960 – The Fabulous Kangaroos (Al Costello & Roy Heffernan) defeated Red & Lou Bastien to win the NWA Northeast United States Tag Team Titles
1963 – Tony Borne defeated Billy White Wolf to win the NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Title
1966 – Neff Maivia defeated Ripper Collins to win his sixth NWA Hawaii Heavyweight Title in Honolulu, Hawaii
1966 – Giant & Moose Evans defeated Luke Graham & Karl Von Brauner to win the Mid-America NWA World Tag Team Title in Nashville, Tennessee
1972 – Lord Alfred Hayes & Ricky Starr defeated Bobby Duncum & Dick Murdoch to win the NWA Western States Tag Team Title in Amarillo, Texas
1974 – Panama Franco & Jackie West defeated Mariko Akagi & Jumbo Miyamoto to win the WWWA World Tag Team Title in Fukuoka, Japan
1979 – Dick Slater defeated The Mongolian Stomper to win the NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Title in Knoxville, Tennessee
1985 – The Dream Team (Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine) defeated The US Express (Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo) to win the WWF Tag Team Titles
1990 – The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott) defeated The Midnight Express to win the NWA United States Tag Team Titles
1992 – Miss Texas defeated Lauren Davenport to win the USWA Women’s Title
1999 – on Smackdown, The Big Boss Man defeated Al Snow to win the WWF Hardcore Title
Happy birthday to WWE Hall of Famer Rocky Johnson (69), one-time WWE Cruiserweight Champion Sho Funaki (45), & WWE chairman Vince McMahon (68)
On this day in 2003, the wrestling world lost famed British announcer Kent Walton to natural causes aged 86. Walton attended stage school in his early life before serving in the RAF during World War Two. At war’s end, he returned to acting before finding his niche in sports commentary, specializing initially in football and tennis before ITV’s lead wrestling commentator in the mid-50′s. At the peak of it’s powers, ITV’s wrestling coverage attracted up to 12 million viewers (a very high figure for UK television) with fans including several members of the Royal Family, The Queen included, and then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. After ITV dropped wrestling from it’s programming in 1988, Walton became a radio presenter and film producer
The idea behind WWE's ongoing storyline between AJ Lee and Paige has definitely been to tease sexual...
- WWE's website has a new poll asking fans how they would describe John Cena in one word - inspirati...
- Check out Michael Cole's new sitdown interview with WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar. ...
- It's worth noting that WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar is not being advertised for nex...
Night of Champions is this Sunday which means Five Things offers you, the WWE Universe, five must-se...