Today In Wrestling History – February 17th
1998 – Randy “Macho Man” Savage receives Harvard Lampoon’s “Real Man” of the Year Award.? The humor magazine gives out the award every year to “that male specimen of the human species who best exemplifies universal manliness.”
2009 – TNA signed Sarita
In 1969, WWWF ran at Madison Square Garden in New York City:
– Arnold Skaaland defeated Bob Harmon.
– Carlos Colon & Pete Sanchez defeated Tony Altimore & Lou Albano.
– John Sullivan defeated Johnny Rodz.
– Dominic DeNucci defeated Angelo Savoldi.
– Victor Rivera & Haystacks Calhoun defeated Gorilla Monsoon & Baron Mikel Scicluna.
– WWWF World Champion Bruno Sammartino vs. Killer Kowalski ended in a double DQ
In 2002, The WWF held their “No Way Out” PPV in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. highlighted by the entrance of the New World Order into the WWF (and Hulk Hogan’s 1st appearance on a WWF show in almost a decade):
Sunday Night Heat:
-Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Big Bossman via DQ
- The APA defeated Billy & Chuck, Albert & Scotty 2 Hotty, Lance Storm & Christian, The Hardy Boyz (Matt & Jeff), & The Dudley Boyz in a 6 team Tag Team Turmoil Match. Last eliminating Billy & Chuck
– Rob Van Dam defeated Goldust
– Taz & Spike Dudley defeated Booker T & Test to retain the WWF Tag Team Titles
– WWF Intercontinental Champion William Regal defeated Edge in a Brass Knuckles-On-A-Pole Match, to retain the title
– The Rock defeated The Undertaker
Mr. Perfect appeared at WWF New York. He ran down the fans as not being up to his level of perfection. He said even the rats there are ugly, & I don’t think he meant rodents with long tails.
– Kurt Angle defeated Triple H to become the number one contender for the WWF Undisputed Title, with Stephanie McMahon as the guest referee
– WWF Undisputed Champion Chris Jericho defeated Stone Cold Steve Austin to retain the title
In 2008, WWE held it’s 10th Annual “No Way Out” PPV live from the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada:
– Kane defeated Shelton Benjamin
– ECW World Champion Chavo Guerrero Jr. defeated CM Punk to retain the title
– The Undertaker defeated Batista, Finlay, The Great Khali (with Ranjin Singh), MVP, & Big Daddy V (with Matt Stryker) in the Smackdown Brand’s Elimination Chamber match to earn a World Title match at Wrestlemania 24
– Ric Flair defeated Mr. Kennedy (if Flair had lost he’d have had to retire)
– WWE World Champion Edge defeated Rey Mysterio Jr. to retain the title
– John Cena defeated WWE Champion Randy Orton via DQ, but Orton retains the title
– Triple H defeated Jeff Hardy, John Bradshaw Layfield, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, & Umaga to earn a WWE Title match at Wrestlemania 24
In 2013, WWE held it’s annual “Elimination Chamber” PPV at the New Orleans Arena, in New Orleans, Louisiana:
– The Tons of Funk (Brodus Clay & Tensai) (with Cameron & Naomi) defeated Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow)
- WWE World Champion Alberto Del Rio (with Ricardo Rodriguez) defeated The Big Show to retain the title
– US Champion Antonio Cesaro defeated The Miz via DQ to retain the title
– Jack Swagger (with Zeb Colter) defeated Kane, Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho, Mark Henry, & Randy Orton in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber match, to earn a World Title match at Wrestlemania 29
– The Shield (Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, & Dean Ambrose) defeated Ryback, Sheamus, & John Cena
– Dolph Ziggler (with AJ Lee & Big E Langston) defeated Kofi Kingston
– WWE Diva’s Champion Kaitlyn defeated Tamina Snuka to retain the title
– WWE Champion The Rock defeated CM Punk (with Paul Heyman) to retain the title. If the Rock had been disqualified or counted out, he would have lost the title
1981 – El Canek defeated Tiger Jeet Singh to win the UWA World Heavyweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico
1989 – Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden defeated Kevin & Kerry Von Erich to win the World Class Tag Team Title. Fuller & Golden won the match via disqualification, which under World Class rules meant the title changed hands in Dallas, Texas
1996 – Lex Luger defeated Johnny B. Badd (Marc Mero) to win the WCW World Television Title in Baltimore, Maryland
1996 – PG-13 defeated Jesse James Armstrong & Tracey Smothers to win the USWA Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee
1997 – Psycho Sid defeated Bret Hart to win the WWF World Heavyweight Title during a live edition of Raw from Nashville, Tennessee, ending Hart’s reign 1 day after winning the title
1997 – Prince Iaukea defeated Steven Regal to win the WCW World Television Title on WCW Monday Nitro in Tampa, Florida
1998 – On WWF Monday Night Raw, The Headbangers (Mosh & Thrasher) defeated The Rock N’ Roll Express to win the NWA World Tag Team Title. Prior to the match, Commissioner Slaughter replaced NWA referee Tommy Young with WWF referee Earl Hebner, who refereed the match under WWF rules (no over the top DQs) in Waco, Texas
2000 – Flash Flanagan defeated Rico Constantino to win the Ohio Valley Wrestling Heavyweight Title
2001 – Steve Blackman defeated Raven to win the WWF Hardcore Title. However, as Blackman is leaving the ring, Raven cradles him and scores a pin to take back the title due to the “24/7″ rule in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Happy Birthday to WWE wrestler & manager Ricardo Rodriguez (28), & ROH wrestler Jimmy Jacobs (30)