Today In Wrestling History – February 1st
2010 – WWE announced that Antonio Inoki would be inducted into their Hall of Fame
In 1987, The WWF held an event at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario:
- Brad Rheingans defeated Iron Mike Sharpe.
- Tama defeated Jimmy Jack Funk.
- Sika defeated Haku.
- Dino Bravo defeated Lanny Poffo.
- Adrian Adonis defeated Dick Slater.
- The Can-Am Connection (Rick Martel & Tom Zenk) defeated The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff.
- Billy Jack Haynes & Hercules fought to a double-disqualification.
- Ricky Steamboat & George Steele defeated The Honky Tonk Man & WWF Intercontinental Champion Randy Savage
In 1997, ECW held Crossing the Line Again at the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The show opened with an impassioned speech from Paul Heyman with the entire roster present, announcing that Barely Legal, the 1st ECW PPV would be held on 4/13, to be headlined by Sabu vs. Taz:
- Louie Spicolli defeated Mike Awesome.
- Lance Storm defeated Balls Mahoney.
- Stevie Richards defeated Ricky Morton.
- Steve Williams defeated Axl Rotten.
- ECW World Heavyweight Champion Raven defeated Steve Williams to retain the title.
- The Sandman defeated D-Von Dudley (a post match brawl saw the Dudley Boyz use the Dudley Death Drop for the 1st time)
- ECW Tag Team Champions The Eliminators (Kronus & Saturn) defeated Sabu & Rob Van Dam to retain the title,
- Terry Funk defeated Tommy Rich.
- Tommy Dreamer & The Pitbulls defeated The Triple Threat (Chris Candido, ECW World Television Champion Shane Douglas & Brian Lee)
In 2000, WCW taped the February 2 edition of Thunder at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton, New York:
- Norman Smiley defeated The Demon.
- WCW World Heavyweight Champion Sid Vicious defeated Mike Rotunda in a submission match.
- In a WCW Cruiserweight Title Tournament match, Shannon Moore defeated Shane Helms.
- The Wall defeated Vampiro and Billy Kidman in a three-way match.
- WCW World Heavyweight Champion Sid Vicious defeated Rick Steiner in a hardcore match.
- Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Machine.
- Tank Abbott defeated Villanos IV & V in a handicap match.
- Crowbar & David Flair defeated WCW World Tag Team Champions The Mamalukes (Big Vito & Johnny the Bull) in a non-title match
1938 – Sandor Szabo defeats Cy Williams to win the San Francisco Pacific Coast Heavyweight Title in San Francisco, California
1956 – Mighty Ursus & Bob Wagner defeat Ken Kenneth & Lu Kim (Rube Wright) to win the vacant Northwest Tag Team Title in Vancouver, British Columbia
1963 – NWA World Heavyweight Champion Lou Thesz ends Killer Kowalski’s claim to the title by defeating him in Houston, Texas. Kowalski was indeed recognized as champion in Texas, but not by the NWA. Kowalski had defeated Buddy Rogers in a three fall match on November 21 in Montreal, Quebec after only one fall, after Rogers’ suffered a broken ankle. Thesz had defeated Rogers, who was still NWA champion, on January 24 in Toronto, Ontario, in the match which led to the founding of the World Wide Wrestling Federation. The win over Kowalski gave Thesz universal recognition as NWA World Heavyweight Champion
1965 – The Fabulous Kangaroos (Al Costello & Roy Heffernan) defeat Don Leo Jonathan & Gene Kiniski to win the Vancouver NWA Canadian Tag Team Title in Vancouver, British Columbia
1969 – Stan Pulaski defeats Mike DiBiase to win the AWA Midwest Heavyweight Title in Omaha, Nebraska
1980 – Ted DiBiase defeated Mike George to win the Mid-South North American Heavyweight Title in Shreveport, Louisiana
1992 – Ron Garvin defeats Carlos Colon to win the WWC Universal Heavyweight Title in Caguas, Puerto Rico
1993 – The Moondogs (Splat & Spot) defeated The Harris Brothers (Ron & Don) to win the USWA Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee
2002 – Cory Diamond defeated Scotty Styles to win the Canadian Wrestling Federation Junior Heavyweight Title in Winnipeg, Manitoba
2005 – Train (formerly A-Train in WWE) defeats Peter Goodman to win the Impact Zone Wrestling Heavyweight Title in Tempe, Arizona
One half of the tag team The Midnight Express & current WWE Developmental trainer Dennis Condry (62), & former WWE Spirit Squad member “Mitch” Nick Mitchell (41)
On this day in 2010 the wrestling world lost Jack Briscoe at the age of 68
The status of WWE's stable with Kofi Kingston, Big E and Xavier Woods has been a hot topic among fan...
The original plan for Monday's WWE RAW was for Big Show and Mark Henry to face Erick Rowan and Luke ...
- Below is Triple H's latest sitdown interview with Michael Cole. - Here are the highlights:...
PWMania.com reported how Ryback tweeted that he was going away for a while. His tweet included a pho...
The El Rey Network issued the following: EL REY NETWORK AND MARK BURNETT’S ONE THREE MEDIA ANNO...