Today In Wrestling History – February 3rd
1973 – All Japan Pro Wrestling becomes a member of the National Wrestling Alliance
1996 – Bam Bam Bigelow made his ECW debut
1997 – The Monday Night War continued: WCW Monday Nitro defeated WWF Monday Night Raw: 3.0 to 2.6 in the ratings
2000 – The formation of the XFL is announced by NBC & WWF
In 1980, A 10-team tournament for the vacant NWA Central States Tag Team Title is held in Kansas City, Kansas:
- The Texas Outlaws (Dick Murdoch & Dusty Rhodes) defeated Dory Funk, Jr. and Terry Funk
- Bruiser Brody & Ernie Ladd defeated Bob Brown & Dick the Bruiser
- Jerry & Ted Oates defeated Bob Sweetan & Takachiho (The Great Kabuki)
- The Assassin & Rock Hunter defeated The Avenger & Ed Wiskowski
- Jack & Jerry Brisco and Eddie & Tommy Gilbert fought to a no-contest
- Bruiser Brody & Ernie Ladd defeated The Texas Outlaws
- Jerry & Ted Oates defeated The Assassin & Rock Hunter
- Bruiser Brody & Ernie Ladd defeated Jerry & Ted Oates to win the vacant NWA Central States Tag Team Title
In 1989, The WWF’s 2nd edition of “The Main Event” airs live on NBC from the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The show got an 11.6 rating:
- The Mega Powers (Hulk Hogan & WWF Champion Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth)) defeated The Twin Towers (Akeem & The Big Boss Man (with Slick)), when Hogan pinned Akeem after a legdrop. During the match, Savage was thrown out of the ring by Akeem onto Elizabeth. Hogan carried Elizabeth backstage for medical attention. She came to & told Hogan to return to the ring. Hogan came back to the ring & called for a tag, & was then slapped in the face by Savage, who then left the ring. Hogan won the match, then went to the back as well. Savage accused Hogan of trying to steal Miss Elizabeth away, Hogan then begged Elizabeth to talk some sense into his partner, then Savage hit Hogan with the WWF Title belt and attacked him. Brutus Beefcake & several officials broke up the fight. The Mega Powers’ five-month partnership was over, and the stage was set for Savage’s title defense against Hogan two months later at WrestleMania V.
- Ted DiBiase (with Virgil) pinned Hercules
In 2003, WWE held Monday Night Raw live at the MCI Center in Washington, DC.:
– Jamal & Rosey defeated The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray & D-Von)
– Victoria defeated Molly Holly
– William Regal & Lance Storm defeated Goldust & Booker T
– Rob Van Dam defeated Kane
– D’Lo Brown defeated Maven
– Scott Steiner defeated Chris Jericho
1940 – Bobby Arreola wins a tournament to win the vacant Mexican National Welterweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico
1947 – Gray Mask defeats Billy Goelz to win the Pacific Coast Light HeavyweightTitle in Eugene, Oregon.
1962 – Luther Lindsay & Ricky Waldo defeat Rikidozan & Toyonobori to win the JWA All Asia Tag Team Titles
1967 – Danny Little Bear defeats Jack Dalton to win the NWA Gulf Coast Louisiana Heavyweight Title in Lafayette, Louisiana
1968 – Giant Baba & Antonio Inoki defeat Crusher Lisowski & Dr. Bill Miller to win their second NWA International Tag Team Title in Tokyo, Japan
1969 – Antonio Inoki & Kintaro Ohki defeat Tom Jones & Buster Royd to win the vacant JWA All Asia Tag Team Titles
1976 – The Minnesota Wrecking Crew (Gene & Ole Anderson) defeat Rufus R. Jones & Wahoo McDaniel to win their third NWA World Tag Team Title in Raleigh, North Carolina
1978 – Karl Krupp defeats Fritz von Erich to win the Texas Brass Knuckles Title
1989 – Brickhouse Brown defeats King Parsons to win the WCCW Texas Heavyweight Title
1984 – David Von Erich defeats Michael Hayes to win the NWA United National Heavyweight Title in Dallas, Texas
1987 – Jeff Jarrett & Pat Tanaka defeated The Rock ‘n’ Roll RPM’s (Mike Davis & Tommy Lane) to win the AWA Southern Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee
1990 – The Southern Rockers (Steve Doll & Rex King) defeat Robert Fuller & Brian Lee to win the USWA Tag Team Title in Memphis, Tennessee
1991 – Kevin Von Erich defeats The Angel of Death to win the Texas Wrestling Federation Texas Heavyweight Title in Dallas, Texas
1996 – The Eliminators (Saturn & Kronus) defeat Cactus Jack & Mikey Whipwreck to win the ECW Tag Team Titles
2001 – the WWF Hardcore Title 24/7 Rule sees the belt pass from Raven to K-Kwik, to Crash Holly and back to Raven
2001 – Lady Victoria defeats Poison Ivy to win the vacant Mid American Wrestling Women’s Title in West Allis, Wisconsin
2004 – on Smackdown, Rikishi & Scotty 2 Hotty defeat The Basham Brothers (Danny & Doug) to win the WWE Tag Team Titles
2007 – Devil Bhudakahn defeated Scottie Gash in a Best-of-Three Falls match for the vacant NWA East Three Rivers Title in McKeesport, Pennsylvania
2008 – Kota Ibushi defeated Tanomusaku Toba’s to win the DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Champion in Tokyo, Japan
Happy birthday to WWE Hall of Famer Dory Funk Jr (73), 1-time WWF Intercontinental and Tag Team Champion Marty Jannetty (54), former TNA Knockout Becky Bayless (32), & former WWE interviewer Angela ‘Savannah’ Fong (29)
Also, today would have been the birthday of WWE Hall of Famer Kerry Von Erich (54)
Some mainstream media outlets have picked up on the fallout from WWE's earnings call on Thursday and...
- There is belief within WWE that there is a lot more interest in Sting after the WWE 2K15 announcem...
- The dark match after Thursday night's NXT tapings at Full Sail saw Big Show defeat Cesaro with a c...
Team 3D vs. The Hardys vs. TNA Tag Team Champions The Wolves has been added to the TNA Impact Wrestl...
- WWE taped the following matches for tonight's SmackDown: * Jack Swagger vs. Cesaro * R-Truth v...