Today In Wrestling History – January 29th
2009- The Associated Press reported Dr. Phil Astin, 54, pleaded guilty to a 175-count federal indictment charging him with illegally distributing prescription drugs and conspiring to distribute prescription drugs. Dr. Astin had been the Dr. treating & prescribing drugs to Chris Benoit, at the time of the Benoit Murder-Suicide in June 2007.
In 2006, WWE Royal Rumble was held in Miami, Florida:
Sunday Night Heat:
– Finlay defeated Brian Kendrick
– Gregory Helms defeats Kid Kash, Funaki, Jamie Noble, Nunzio & Paul London in a 6-Way Match to win the WWE Cruiserweight Title
– Mickie James defeated Ashley Massaro with Trish Stratus as the special guest referee
– The Boogeyman defeated John “Bradshaw” Layfield (with Jillian Hall)
– Rey Mysterio wins the Royal Rumble, last eliminating Randy Orton
– John Cena defeats Edge (with Lita) to win the WWE Title
– Kurt Angle defeats Mark Henry (with Daivari) to retain the World Heavyweight Title
In 2012, WWE Royal Rumble was held in St Louis, Missouri:
– Yoshi Tatsu defeated Heath Slater
– Daniel Bryan defeated Mark Henry & The Big Show in a Triple Threat Cage Match to retain the World Heavyweight Title
– The Divas of Doom (Natalya & Beth Phoenix) & The Bella Twins defeated Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox, Eve Torres, & Tamina
– John Cena fought Kane to a double countout
– Brodus Clay (with Cameron & Naomi) defeated Drew McIntyre
– CM Punk defeats Dolph Ziggler with John Laurinaitis as special guest referee (though Laurinaitis would defer the duties to a regular referee for most of the match) to retain the WWE Title
– Sheamus wins the Royal Rumble, last eliminating Chris Jericho. Kane did not compete in this year’s Rumble match, ending his 13-year consecutive streak
1981 – Junkyard Dog & Karl Kox defeat Ernie Ladd & Leroy Brown to win the MSW Tag Team Titles
1989 – Lioness Asuka defeats Chigusa Nagayo to win the World Women’s Wrestling Association World Title in Tokyo, Japan. Asuka actually won the belt from Nagayo on August 25, 1988 in Kawasaki, Japan, but refused to accept the title, since Nagayo was wrestling injured. The belt was declared vacant until this rematch took place
1993 – The Bad Breed (Axl & Ian Rotten) defeat John Hawk (now known as JBL) & Bobby Duncum Jr. to win the Global Wrestling Tag Team Title in Dallas, Texas
1995 – Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori defeat The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers) in the final of a tournament to win the vacant AJPW All Asia Tag Team Titles
1996 – Konnan defeats One Man Gang to win the WCW United States Title
1999 – Baldo (later known as Albert/A-Train) defeats Jerry Lawler in a tournament final to become the 1st Memphis Power Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Champion in Memphis, Tennessee
1999 – Trent Acid & Billy Reil defeated The Nation of Immigration for the Jersey All Pro Tag Team titles
2002 – on Smackdown, Diamond Dallas Page defeats Christian to win the WWF European Title
2007 – on Raw, John Cena & Shawn Michaels defeat Rated RKO (Edge & Randy Orton) to win the World Tag Team Titles
Happy birthday to 3-time WWF/E Tag Team Champion Bob ‘Hardcore’ Holly (51)
Trivia 1992 – The AJPW Champion’s Carnival is won by Stan Hansen, who defeated Mitsuharu Mis...
We noted before that WWE was selling new CM Punk merchandise at WrestleMania Week in New Orleans. Pu...
- Triple H suffered some kind of muscle injury in the match with Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXX, w...
As noted earlier today, a tournament to crown a new #1 contender to Big E's Intercontinental Title w...
- The North American Wrestling Rankings website, which has kept track of TV records and rankings sin...