Today In Wrestling History- June 28th
2007 – Drug Enforcement Agency raided the office of Chris Benoit’s physician Dr. Phil Astin, stemming from prescription medication found in the Benoit family home after the former WWE World champion murdered his wife and son before committing suicide. Computers were confiscated from Astin’s office. The day before, Astin commented to the media that he had seen Benoit the day of the killings where he showed no sign of rage or distress. He noted he had been treating Benoit for a lack of testosterone, which can be a side effect of steroid use. Benoit passed his most recent WWE Wellness policy test this past April. Steroids were found in his home, but were prescribed by Astin. Under the guidelines of the WWE’s policy at the time, steroids are allowable by WWE as long as there is legitimate medical reason for a performer to be using them. The raid would end up being the beginning of a case against Astin for illegally prescribing medication to a number of patients, resulting in Astin being sent to prison
In 1998, WWF King of the Ring was held at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. With an attendance of 17,087. The event is famed for 1 of it’s main event matches which saw Mankind thrown from the top of the Hell In A Cell through the announce table & later Chokeslammed through the top of cell:
– The Headbangers (Mosh & Thrasher), & Taka Michinoku defeated Kaientai (Dick Togo, Funaki, & Men’s Teioh) in a 6-man tag team match
– Ken Shamrock defeated Jeff Jarrett (with Tennessee Lee) in a King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Final Match
– The Rock defeated Dan Severn in a King of the Ring Tournament Semi-Final Match
– Too Much (Scott Taylor & Brian Christopher) defeated Al Snow & Head in a tag team match. With Jerry Lawler as the special guest referee
– X-Pac (with Chyna) defeated Owen Hart
– The New Age Outlaws (Billy Gunn & Road Dogg) (with Chyna) defeated The New Midnight Express (Bombastic Bob & Bodacious Bart) (with Jim Cornette) to retain the WWF Tag Team Titles
– Ken Shamrock defeated The Rock in the Finals to win the King of the Ring Tournament
– The Undertaker defeated Mankind in a Hell In A Cell Match
– Kane (with Paul Bearer) defeated Steve Austin in a First Blood Match to win the WWF Title. If Kane had lost, he would have had to set himself on fire
In 2009, WWE’s The Bash was held at ARCO Arena, in Sacramento, California. With an attendance of 11,946. It was the 20th & final PPV in the Great American Bash series, which dates back to 1985 if you include the original NWA events:
– R-Truth defeated Shelton Benjamin
– Tommy Dreamer defeated Jack Swagger, Christian, Mark Henry (with Tony Atlas), & Finlay in a Championship Scramble Match to retain the ECW Title
– Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Chris Jericho in a Mask vs Title Match to win the WWE Intercontinental Title
– Dolph Ziggler defeated The Great Khali (with Ranjin Singh)
– Edge & Chris Jericho defeated The Colons (Carlito & Primo) & The Legacy (Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr) in a Triple Threat Match to win the WWE Unified Tag Team Titles
– Michelle McCool (with Alicia Fox) defeated Melina to win the WWE Women’s Title
– Jeff Hardy defeated CM Punk via DQ (Punk retains the World Heavyweight Title)
– John Cena defeated The Miz
– Randy Orton defeated Triple H in a 3 Stages Of Hell Match to retain the WWE Title
1982 – Jules & Chief Jay Strongbow defeat Mr Fuji & Mr Saito to win the WWF Tag Team Titles
1993 – The Dirty White Boy (wrestling under a mask) defeated Bobby Blaze to win the SMW Television Title. Also, The Bruise Brothers (Don & Ron) defeat The Rock n Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) to win the SMW Tag Team Titles
1993 – Jeff Jarrett defeated Brian Christopher for the USWA Southern Heavyweight Title in Memphis, Tennessee
1997 – Chris Jericho defeated Syxx to win the WCW Cruiserweight Title in Inglewood, California
1999 – on Raw, Steve Austin defeated The Undertaker to win the WWF Title
2002 – The WWE Title’s 24/7 Rule sees the belt passed from Bradshaw to Shawn Stasiak, to Spike Dudley, to Steven Richards, & back to Bradshaw
2008 – Taiyo Kea & Minoru Suzuki defeated Joe Doering & Keiji Mutoh to win the AJPW Unified World Tag Team Titles
2012 – Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels & Kazarian) defeated Kurt Angle & AJ Styles to win the TNA Tag Team Titles
Happy birthday to one-time WWE Tag Team Champion Jon Heidenreich (44)
Also, today would have been the birthday of Mexican star Villaño I (63), & one-time AWA Tag Team Champion Boris Malenko (81)
The idea behind WWE's ongoing storyline between AJ Lee and Paige has definitely been to tease sexual...
- WWE's website has a new poll asking fans how they would describe John Cena in one word - inspirati...
- Check out Michael Cole's new sitdown interview with WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar. ...
- It's worth noting that WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar is not being advertised for nex...
Night of Champions is this Sunday which means Five Things offers you, the WWE Universe, five must-se...