Today In Wrestling History- May 5th
2002 – WWF is officially renamed to WWE after a lawsuit from the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF)
2009- Ric Flair made his debut on ROH on HDNet
In 1985, WCCW Parade of Champions 2 was held at Texas Stadium, in Irving, Texas. With an attendance of 26,153:
– Kerry Von Erich (with Fritz Von Erich) defeated One Man Gang (with Gary Hart) in a Hair vs Hair Match
– The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers) defeated The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey) (with Jim Cornette) to win the vacant NWA American Tag Team Titles
– Ric Flair fought Kevin Von Erich to a double countout to retain the NWA World Title
– The Von Erichs (Kevin, Kerry & Mike) & The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts) defeated Chris Adams, Gino Hernandez, Rip Oliver, One Man Gang, Kamala & “Dr. Death” Steve Williams (with Gary Hart & Skandor Akbar) in a two-ring match
In 2001, WWF Insurrextion was held at Earls Court, in London, England. With an attendance of 15,794:
– Eddie Guerrero defeated Grand Master Sexay
– Perry Saturn & Dean Malenko (with Terri Runnels) defeated Crash Holly & Hardcore Holly (with Molly Holly)
– Bradshaw defeated The Big Show
– Edge & Christian defeated X-Factor (X-Pac & Justin Credible) (with Albert), The Hardy Boyz (Matt & Jeff) & The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray & D-Von) in a Fatal Four Way Elimination Match
– Chris Benoit defeats Kurt Angle in a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match
– Chris Jericho defeated William Regal to win the Queens Cup
– The Undertaker defeated Steve Austin & Triple H (with Stephanie McMahon–Helmsley) in a Handicap Match (Austin retains the WWF Title as Taker pinned Triple H)
In 2012, TNA Impact Wrestling held a live event at Rabobank Arena, right here in Bakersfield, Ca. I It was at this event live in person. Before the show there was a meet & greet with the talent, which included: Tara, Gunner, The Pope, Mr. Anderson, Robbie E., Bad Influence, & Earl & Brian Hebner. Don West was on the house mic running his mouth the entire meet & greet trying to sell merchandise. It was great, they made sure everyone had a chance to buy what they wanted at the merchandise tables, before they brought out the talent. You were able to buy backstage passes to meet those who didn’t do the pre show meet & greet during intermission. This included: Kurt Angle, Magnus, Samoa Joe, & Robert Roode. It was good for 2 people, so split it with a buddy. Also during intermission Winter was signing. Traci Brooks was in the crowd & was more then willing to sign & pose for anyone who asked. Jeff Hardy did a pre show signing, when you bought the 2-pack of his & Styles’ figures for $20.
– Gunner defeated “The Pope” D’Angelo Dinero
– Tara defeated Winter
– Mr. Anderson defeated Robbie E
– Jeff Hardy defeated Kurt Angle
– TNA Tag Team Champions Samoa Joe & Magnus defeated Christopher Daniels & Kazarian to retain the titles
– Rob Van Dam defeated TNA World Heavyweight Champion Bobby Roode in a non-title match
1937 – Floyd Hanson defeated Abdul Khan to win the Montana State Middleweight Title in Great Falls, Montana
1940 – Bobby Bonales defeated Jack O’Brien to win the Mexican National Lightweight Title in Mexico City, Mexico
1978 – Jerry Brown & Bobby Jaggers defeated Ray Candy & Steven Little Bear to win the TSW United States Tag Team Titles
1978 – Bruno Sammartino defeated Gorilla Monsoon to win the WWC North American Heavyweight Title in San Juan, Puerto Rico
1982 – King Kong Bundy defeated Kerry von Erich to win the WCCW American Heavyweight Title
1982 – Junkyard Dog & Mr Olympia defeated The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) to win the MSW Tag Team Titles
1984 – Blackjack Mulligan defeated Black Bart to win the NWA Florida Brass Knuckles Title in St. Petersburg, Florida
1984 – Wahoo McDaniel & Mark Youngblood defeated Jack & Jerry Brisco to win the NWA World Tag Team Title in Greensboro, North Carolina
1986 – Rick Rude defeated Lance von Erich to win the WCCW Television Title
1990 – Jerry Lawler defeated Jimmy Valiant to win the USWA Unified World Heavyweight Title
2001 – Prince Justice (Abyss) defeated Stone Mountain to win the NWA Wildside Heavyweight Title in Cornelia, Georgia
2001 – Randy Orton defeated Flash Flanagan to become the final & only 2-time OVW Hardcore Champion in Jeffersonville, Indiana. Sometime after this win, the title was retired
Happy birthday to 2-time NWA Florida Champion Billy Fives (45), current WWE referee Chad Patton (38), WWE Hall of Famer Bill Watts (75), UK indy regular Frankie Sloan (44), & 2-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Hase (53)
On this day in 2002, former NWA & WCW referee Randy Anderson died aged just 42. Anderson was an accomplished amateur wrestler at high school level, becoming Georgia-state champion in his weight class. Anderson was a childhood friend of Arn Anderson (interesting note: Arn took his ring name from Anderson, whose birth name was Randall Anderson), & the pair began training under Ted Allen. Anderson initially became a referee as part of his wrestling training, but soon found that he had a talent for the role & became a full-time referee in the late 70′s. He appeared primarily for Mid-South Wrestling & Florida Championship Wrestling before signing with JCP in 1985. By the time Ted Turner bought the promotion, Anderson was a regularmain event referee. Anderson’s WCW career was remarkably quiet until 1996, when he was the referee for the Bash at the Beach event which saw the formation of the New World Order. He was also involved in an nWo storyline the following year, which led to his kayfabe firing at the hands of Eric Bischoff. During this period, he would also wrestle his one-and-only professional match, defeating fellow referee Nick Patrick. In 1999, Anderson was reinstated by WCW President Ric Flair, but would be forced to retire for health reasons mere months later. Anderson was originally diagnosed with cancer in 1995, having recognized his own symptoms. He was given the all-clear once, but the cancer returned in a more aggressive form, eventually claiming his life after a long battle.
Former WWE Superstar and good friend of Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Sinn Bodhi posted the following up...
Events In 1984, WCCW "Labor Day Star Wars" was held at the Tarrant County Convention Center in ...
Check out the full schedule for Wednesday, day 193 of the WWE Network launch: 12:00 am ET - Monda...
- One of PWMania.com's correspondents at Tuesday’s WWE SmackDown tapings in Lincoln noted that WWE...
- Alberto Del Rio appeared with AAA officials and wrestlers for a Ring & Rockstars 3 press conferenc...