Today Wrestling History- June 3rd
1996 - The Monday Night Wars continued: WCW Monday Nitro defeated WWF Monday Night Raw: 3.0 to 2.3 in the ratings
1998 – Koji Kanemoto wins the NJPW Best of the Super Juniors Tournament, defeating Dr. Wagner Jr. in the final
In 2007, WWE One Night Stand, held at the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, in Jacksonville, Florida, was the final PPV where all 3 brands were listed as promoters; all future events would refer solely to WWE. With an attendance of 7,000. It was also the final PPV appearance of Chris Benoit:
– Santino Marella defeated Chris Masters
– Rob Van Dam defeated Randy Orton in a Stretcher Match
– The ECW Originals (Tommy Dreamer & The Sandman), & CM Punk defeated The New Breed (Elijah Burke, Marcus Cor Von, & Matt Striker) in a 6-man Tag Team Tables Match
– The Hardys (Matt & Jeff) defeated The Worlds Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin) in a Ladder Match to retain the World Tag Team Titles
– Mark Henry defeated Kane in a Lumberjacks Match. The lumberjacks were: Chris Benoit, Kenny Dykstra, The Miz, Balls Mahoney, Santino Marella, Chris Masters, Val Venis, Stevie Richards, Johnny Nitro, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Carlito, & Kevin Thorn
– Bobby Lashley defeated Vince McMahon (with Umaga & Shane McMahon) in a Street Fight to win the ECW Title
– Candice Michelle defeated Melina in a Pudding Match
– Edge defeated Batista in a Cage Match to retain the World Heavyweight Title
– John Cena defeated The Great Khali (with Ranjin Singh) in a Falls Count Anywhere Match to retain the WWE Title
In 2013, WWE Monday Night Raw was broadcast live from the XL Center, in Hartford, Connecticut:
– The Shield (Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, & Roman Reigns) defeated Randy Orton, & Team Hell No (Kane & Daniel Bryan) in a 6-man tag team match
– The Usos (Jey & Jimmy) defeated The Prime Time Players (Titus O’Neil & Darren Young)
– Alberto Del Rio (with Ricardo Rodriguez) defeated Big E Langston (with AJ Lee)
– Sheamus defeated Cody Rhodes
– The Great Khali (with Natalya & Hornswoggle) defeated Fandango (with Summer Rae) via countout
– The Miz defeated Wade Barrett
– The Funkadactyls (Cameron & Naomi), & Kaitlyn defeated The Bella Twins (Nikki & Brie), & AJ Lee
– Daniel Bryan defeated Ryback via DQ
– Curtis Axel (with Paul Heyman) defeated John Cena via countout in a No Disqualifications Match
1962 – Alberto & Ramon Torres defeated Jan Madrid & Louie Tillet to win the TSW Southwestern Tag Team Titles
1965 – The Destroyer & Billy Red Lyons defeated Giant Baba & Toyonobori to win the JWA All Asia Tag Team Titles
1968 – Fritz von Erich defeated Spoiler #1 to win the vacant WCCW American Heavyweight Title
1968 – Danny Hodge & Lorenzo Parente defeated Jack Donovan & Ron Reed to win the TSW United States Tag Team Titles
1969 – Baron von Raschke defeated Wahoo McDaniel to win the Texas Brass Knuckles Title
1971 – Luke Graham & Tarzan Tyler defeated Dick The Bruiser & The Sheik in the final of a tournament to become the 1st WWWF Tag Team Champions
1980 – David von Erich defeated Gino Hernandez to win the Texas Heavyweight Title
1991 – Steve Austin defeated Bobby Eaton to win the WCW Television Title. Also, The Fabulous Freebirds (Badstreet, Jimmy Garvin & Michael Hayes) defeated The Junkyard Dog, Ricky Morton & Tommy Rich to win the WCW Six-Man Tag Team Titles in Birmingham, Alabama
2002 – on Raw, Bradshaw defeated Steven Richards to win the WWE Hardcore Title
2003 – on Smackdown, Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Matt Hardy to win the WWE Cruiserweight Title in Anaheim, California
Today would have been the birthday of one-time World Heavyweight Champion Ed Don George (109)
On this day in 1973, the wrestling world lost former NWA World Junior Heavyweight Champion Dory Funk Sr. at the age of 54. Funk began his professional career after serving in the US Navy during World War II. Throughout his career, he wrestled primarily in Texas, rarely venturing out into other promotions, though he did achieve Tag Team Title reigns in Florida and Vancouver, alongside his Texan accolades. Upon his in-ring retirement, he became a renowned promoter in Amarillo, producing such stars as Stan Hansen, Ted DiBiase and Tito Santana, not to mention his sons Dory Jr & Terry. He was also one of the 1st promoters to realize the potential of sending his workers to Japan, regularly allowing his workers to tour through his friend Shohei Baba’s All Japan promotion. Funk died suddenly after suffering a heart attack at his ranch in Umbarger, Texas
- Dean Ambrose vs. Alberto Del Rio has been announced for Tuesday night's live episode of Main event...
- Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt is now official for next month's WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view. - WW...
WWE taped this week’s WWE Superstars episode from the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas. Here are fu...
WWE Raw Results - July 28th, 2014 We are shown a replay of Stephanie getting fired before Raw s...
- As of yesterday, Chris Jericho vs. Luke Harper and a MizTV segment with Bo Dallas was scheduled fo...