Whatever Happened To Kurrgan? – WWE Catches Up With The Wrestler-Turned-Actor
The official WWE website has published an article catching up with wrestler-turned-actor Robert Maillet, who appeared as Kurrgan for the company in the late-1990′s.
A few years after leaving WWE, Maillet ventured into the world of acting at the urging of a friend.
“I’d never really thought of it before, even though wrestlers had done it,” said Maillet.
Maillet landed a role in 2007-released flick300 through Jacques Rougeau, who recommended him to producers looking to cast a super-sized individual as a savage, gigantic berserker named “Über-Immortal.” Maillet reveals that his former WWE persona was the inspiration behind the character.
“I thought I could do Kurrgan, so I went nuts. They were all blown away,” said Maillet, as the director asked him to “scream his head off” while being filmed.
The success of 300 led to Maillet being cast in another huge movie, Sherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey, Jr. The 7-footer drew media attention during the movie’s filming when he accidentally punched Downey, causing him to be bloodied.
“We didn’t have a lot of time to rehearse the fight,” said Maillet. “The choreography of it changed on set. I really had to aim [the punch] towards his face, I couldn’t fake it.
“He somehow forgot to block it and I hit him on the chin. I knew I hurt him, I felt it.”
While promoting Sherlock Holmes on Late Show with David Letterman, Downey said Maillet was “ten times more upset” about the incident than he was. According to the former WWE Superstar, Downey gave him a champagne bottle with a card saying there were no hard feelings.
“I didn’t want to be known for punching out movie stars,” said Maillet.
Maillet also discussed his past life as a professional wrestler, as well as his role in Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim. WWE’s article can be accessed here.
- Hulk Hogan tweeted the following about the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal at WrestleMania X...
- Tonight's WWE Main Event and SmackDown tapings take place from the Verizon Arena in Little Rock, A...
- Bobby Lashley's surprise return at Lockdown was kept quiet to a very small circle of people so it ...
- While some members of the Yes Movement in the ring with Daniel Bryan Monday night on RAW were actu...
- WWE originally announced Luke Harper vs. John Cena for Monday night's RAW around 6pm but then anno...