WWE Wrestler Death Stats Report Garners Mainstream Attention
Alongside an image of “Macho Man” Randy Savage, the front page headline reads “Tragic legacy of huge wrestling event” with the description noting “An alarming number of performers from 1991′s Wrestlemania VII are now dead.”
The Yahoo! Sports article notes that over 25 percent of the performers from Wrestlemania VII have died prematurely (14 deceased of 51 total), with many of the deaths being attributed to drug use.
A graph is enclosed in the article listing the deceased wrestling talents, as well as their age and cause of death. It reads:
* “Macho Man” Randy Savage (58) – heart attack
* Andre the Giant (46) – heart failure
* Mr. Perfect (44) – drug overdose
* Miss Elizabeth (42) – drug overdose
* “The British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith (39) – heart attack
* Dino Bravo (44) – gunshot
* “The Texas Tornado” Kerry Von Erich (33) – suicide
* Joey Marella (31) – car accident
* Hawk (46) – heart attack
* Hercules (47) – heart disease
* Earthquake (42) – bladder cancer
* Crush (44) – unconfirmed
* Big Boss Man (41) – heart attack
(The article forgot to list Sensational Sherri, who died of a drug overdose at the age of 49. This list does not include Gorilla Monsoon (62, natural causes) and Lord Alfred Hayes (76).)
By comparison, of the 44 starters to play at the Super Bowl in 1991, none have passed away. Additionally, only two of 44 professional boxers who held a major championship belt that year are deceased.
To read the Yahoo! Sports article, click here.
- Tonight's WWE Main Event and SmackDown tapings take place from the Verizon Arena in Little Rock, A...
- Bobby Lashley's surprise return at Lockdown was kept quiet to a very small circle of people so it ...
- While some members of the Yes Movement in the ring with Daniel Bryan Monday night on RAW were actu...
- WWE originally announced Luke Harper vs. John Cena for Monday night's RAW around 6pm but then anno...
- Below is video of Cesaro interviewing Santino Marella about his relationship with Emma: - T...