My five predictions that will undoubtedly come true…unless they don’t. In which case ignore this column 6 months from now…extravaganza. Here they are the five things I think will happen in the next year and not just, what I hope will happen in the WWE.
5) The Rock will beat CM Punk for the WWE title at the Royal Rumble. I’m actually ok with this happening. For two reasons really, one they’ll put on a very good match because Punk will go into “eff you” mode and because it’ll set up my next prediction but that’ll wait. Here’s why Punk will lose to the Rock. The Rock will be at Wrestlemania, I am 100% certain of this. Punk and Rocky have been sniping at each other on TV and Twitter long enough now that either A) they are starting the building of a feud or B) they legitimately dislike each other. My guess it’s a little bit of both. Punk’s title reign just gained new life with the emergence of Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns. Punk can carry his heel momentum for a few more months with Heyman and that faction with him. However, I don’t know how much longer he and Cena can feud with Cena losing every single time. That’s the only thing that might stop my prediction from coming true. Will the WWE universe grow tired of Punk? I don’t think so, and that’s why I made this as one of my guaranteed predictions.
4) The Rock will have a rematch Cena at Wrestlemania for the WWE Title
This prediction also means Cena will probably win the Royal Rumble. Now as unattractive as this rematch sounds to Internet wrestling fans like me it will also guarantee casual wrestling fans buy Wrestlemania. The Rock vs. Cena 2 for the title in one of the largest outdoor stadiums in the world will draw huge, sorry HUGENORMIOUS money. The Rock will lose the title to Cena but will cement himself as the guy who drew three of the largest Wrestlemanias ever.
3) CM Punk will challenge The Streak at Wrestlemania
With CM Punk no longer champion and Cena challenging The Rock at Wrestlemania Punk will need a Wrestlemania opponent worth his time and respect. Well there is no bigger fish than the Undertaker’s streak at Wrestlemania. This is my dream scenario for the streak to finally be broken. A star that can be completely legitimized in the eyes of even casual fans, add heat to an already top heel, and Undertaker will have no shame in handing that touch to Punk. Punk isn’t HHH or Shawn Michaels whose careers didn’t need the streak to be hall of famers. No, this would be different. Punk would go from fanboy star to one of the top 20 all time in a single night. I don’t think the Undertaker will lose the streak but if he ever does, it would be to CM Punk.
2) Brock Lesnar will return for a Wrestlemania payday against…Ryback
Are you kidding me? This has to happen doesn’t it? Sure, it’d be a technical wrestler’s worst dream but holy hell it would be an absolute marvel to see. The impact these two would have would be tremendous. The promos would suck, but from a fan standpoint I’d pay to see two hard hitting, don’t give a shit bruisers go at it for 10 minutes. It can’t be a long match, and it won’t be pretty but “Feed me more” vs. “here comes the pain”. I’d watch that, I’d tweet about that, and it puts casual fans eyeballs on a rising star in Ryback.
1) Wade Barrett will be world champion
I made this prediction but then Barrett got hurt. I made this prediction again and Barrett was right there, so close, and then he got hurt…again. What’s the old saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, but third times a charm? Something like that right? Anyways Barrett has every single tool you want from a world champion and if it weren’t for injury, he already would have been one. He’s a better version of Alberto Del Rio, above par athleticism for a guy his size, powerful without being a “muscle guy”, and he’s an insufferable prick. Everything you want in a SmackDown heel champion. Remember this if Barrett stays healthy (which could be his name now) he will be World Heavyweight Champion.
Well there they are my five sure fire, put them in the bank predictions…unless they don’t happen then blame the booze for the false confidence.
Alright that is all for this week folks, thank for reading. You can reach me to complain, praise, or whatever either via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter via @JaredGebhardt.
The Wrestling Genius: Jared Gebhardt