WWE Raw Results – January 16, 2012
- Tonight’s WWE RAW Supershow opens up with a video of Martin Luther King Jr. We go to the usual RAW opener.
- We’re live from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California as the pyro goes off and Michael Cole welcomes us to RAW. We go to the ring and out comes Mick Foley to a nice reaction.
Cole and Lawler announce CM Punk and Daniel Bryan vs. Mark Henry and Dolph Ziggler for later tonight plus Zack Ryder vs. Jack Swagger with the United States Title on the line. Foley says he’s here for two reasons. One is that he would never pass up an opportunity to go to Disneyland. Foley then says he is open to working with WWE in a non-physical role. Foley says he has lived all of his dreams in the ring for WWE, including heading WrestleMania which he did in this building. Foley says he has one more dream. He says his two younger kids weren’t old enough to see dad in the ring last time. Mick wants Huey and Mickey, who are watching from home, to see dad in the ring at least one more time. The crowd pops at this.
Foley says he wants to be in the 30-man Royal Rumble match and out comes Vickie Guerrero with Dolph Ziggler. Vickie introduces Dolph as the next WWE Champion and they head to the ring. Dolph rips into Foley for wanting to take a Rumble spot and show off for his bratty kids at home. Dolph mocks Foley’s comedy and his kids. Foley says he could go in and get thrown right back out or things could turn out differently and he could end up winning. Foley says he’s not just in the Rumble to be in it, he’s in it to win it.
Dolph talks about John Cena running away from him last week and beating CM Punk two weeks in a row. Dolph can’t believe Foley is out here. Dolph says he’s going to win the Rumble match and defeat CM Punk for the WWE Title at the Rumble but he can’t think of a bigger letdown than defending against Foley. Dolph goes on and says it’s over for Foley. Dolph tells Foley to go home, buy a new shirt, eat a salad and just go away. CM Punk’s music hits and out comes the WWE Champion to a big pop.
The crowd chants Punk’s name as he enters the ring. Punk says it’s good to see Foley right here in Anaheim. Dolph says Punk and Foley get their clothes from the same homeless person on the street. Punk says he and Foley are alike – they’re unconventional and don’t try to fit in a mold to be every other WWE Superstar. They also don’t hide behind a woman, Punk says. A poor excuse for a woman, he adds. Punk says Ziggler has a special referee in his back pocket for the Royal Rumble. Punk runs down John Laurinaitis and says he will still be WWE Champion after the match is over. Because he’s the best wrestler in the world, he says. Punk says it would be damn cool if he had to defend against Foley at WrestleMania 28. Vickie chimes in about how great Dolph is and out comes John Laurinaitis.
Laurinaitis insists he will be fair in the WWE Title match and says he will consider Mick Foley’s spot in the Royal Rumble match. Laurinaitis says he has put a lot of thought into it and his answer is no. The crowd boos and Foley looks on as Laurinaitis heads to the back. Vickie laughs in Foley’s face and taunts him.
- We see Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston walking backstage. Cole and Lawler talk about Primo and Epico winning the Tag Team Titles last night and the rematch is up next. Back to commercial.
WWE Tag Team Title Match: Air Boom vs. Epico and Primo
Back from the break and Air Boom is in the ring with the new WWE Tag Team Champions Epico & Primo, with Rosa Mendes at their side. We see footage from last night’s live event where the titles changed hands. Epico starts things off with Bourne and they trade holds. Bourne with a 2 count and a head scissors takedown. Epico turns it around and tags in Primo. They double team and toss Bourne over their heads. Primo mounts Bourne with rights as Rosa looks on.
The champs make another tag but Bourne fights off the double team and takes them both out. Bourne crawls and makes the tag to Kofi. Kofi takes both men down off the top rope and dropkicks Primo then hits the flying right hand. Kofi hits the Boom Drop but Epico comes in. Kofi tosses him out and eventually lays out Primo. Bourne gets the tag and goes for Air Bourne but is distracted when Epico takes out Kofi on the floor. Primo knocks Bourne off the top and hits the backstabber for the win.
Winners: Epico and Primo
- John Laurinaitis is backstage texting when David Otunga walks in. Otunga lets someone in and Laurinaitis mentions a six-man match tonight with Otunga, Dolph Ziggler and Mark Henry vs. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and…. the camera pans, we see it’s Chris Jericho. Jericho turns out the lights, turns his jacket on and poses as we go to commercial.
- Lawler and Cole plug tonight’s main event. We go backstage to Eve Torres and United States Champion Zack Ryder. Ryder’s ribs are bandaged up. Josh Matthews walks in and Ryder says he hasn’t been medically cleared to wrestle. Eve says Ryder is in no shape to compete and should be at home resting. Ryder says he’s going to the ring and if anyone thinks he’s going to forfeit his title, they’re full of crap. Eve looks worried and says she’s going with him.
- We get a video package showing clips of Ryder, Eve and the attack from Kane last week.
WWE United States Title Match: Jack Swagger vs. Zack Ryder
We go to the ring and out first comes Jack Swagger with Vickie Guerrero. We go to commercial as Swagger enters the ring.
Back from the break and out comes the United States Champion Zack Ryder with Eve Torres. Swagger takes Ryder to the mat and goes for his back as soon as the bell rings. Swagger hits a big sideslam and whips Ryder hard into the corner. Swagger works on the injured back. Swagger charges in the corner but Ryder puts his knees up. Ryder comes off the second rope and Swagger drops him over his knee. Swagger steps on Ryder’s back and hits the Swagger Bomb for a 2 count.
Swagger hits the gutwrench powerbomb but Ryder kicks out at 2 again as Vickie taunts Eve at ringside. Swagger goes for another gutwrench and nails it but Ryder manages to kick out. Swagger drops a series of elbows on Ryder’s injured back and then slaps him in the back of the head a few times. Swagger nails another gutwrench powerbomb and this time it’s for the win and the title.
Winner and New WWE United States Champion: Jack Swagger
- After the match, Eve comes in the ring to check on Ryder as Swagger and Vickie celebrate with the title.
- More hype for tonight’s six-man main event with Jericho, Bryan and Punk vs. Ziggler, Henry and Otunga. Back to commercial.
- Back from the break and we get replays of Jack Swagger beating up Zack Ryder for the US Title. We go backstage where Ryder is with a trainer and Eve. Ryder is in pain. John Laurinaitis says he just saw the medical report that Ryder wasn’t cleared. Eve yells at Laurinaitis and he tells her to shut her mouth, show respect for authority. Laurinaitis walks off.
- Justin Roberts introduces the special ring announcer for the next match and out comes celebrity blogger Perez Hilton to the ring.
Alicia Fox and Kelly Kelly vs. The Bella Twins
Perez begins the introductions as Kelly Kelly and Alicia Fox come out first. The Bella Twins are out next.
Kelly starts things off for her team and gets slammed to the mat. Bella rams Kelly back into the corner and kicks her. Kelly dodges a clothesline in the corner and connects with a bulldog for 2 as the other Bella broke the pin. Alicia comes in and distracts the referee. The Bellas do the twin switch but Perez stops it. This leads to Kelly and Alicia getting the win off a roll up.
Winners: Alicia Fox and Kelly Kelly
- After the match, Perez has words in the ring with the Bellas. He puts his fists up but gets pushed to the mat. Kelly and Alicia step in as the Bellas flee to the floor.
- We see footage from SmackDown where Big Show accidentally injured AJ Lee. Cole says we will have an update later from Daniel Bryan himself. Back to commercial.
- We get a look back at the 1992 Royal Rumble where Ric Flair dominated.
- R-Truth comes out to the ring next. Before Truth can speak, he’s interrupted by Wade Barrett. Barrett heads to the ring and introduces himself. He says we will hear that name announced again soon as the winner of the 2012 Rumble match. Barrett says he’s an official entrant in the Rumble and so is Truth, running down how Truth acts. Barrett says Little Jimmy thinks Barrett talks funny. Truth goes on and plays a slideshow of him with Mickie and Minnie Mouse, then Donald Duck. Barrett wants to know what this has to do with anything. Truth then shows himself looking at Pinocchio. Pinnochio told him Wade would win the Rumble match and the nose grows on Pinocchio. Truth says he doesn’t even know if that’s PG. Truth believes a mouse can talk, a pig can fly but Barrett won’t win the Rumble. Truth goes down as The Miz comes through the crowd and lays him out. Miz and Barrett double team Truth until Sheamus runs out for the save. Sheamus clears the ring and out comes Teddy Long. Teddy says Laurinaitis is busy tonight so he’s taking charge. Teddy announces an Over The Top Challenge with the four Superstars.
Over The Top Rope Challenge: Wade Barrett, The Miz, R-Truth and Sheamus
Truth is in street clothes as a referee comes down and we get started. Miz and Truth go at it while Sheamus and Barrett brawl in the corner. Miz tries to eliminate Truth but it gets turned around on him. Barrett stomps away on Sheamus while Miz tries to eliminate Truth.
Barrett gets eliminated by Miz and Sheamus. Truth goes at it with Miz now until Sheamus clotheslines them both. Sheamus beats Miz down in the corner. Truth stops Sheamus with right hands and tries to eliminate him. Sheamus holds on. They go back and forth in the ring until Truth kicks Sheamus in the head. Miz drops Truth and kicks him in the face. Miz tosses Truth over the rope but he hangs on to the apron. Miz charges at Sheamus but gets clotheslined. Sheamus hits Miz with forearms in the ropes and then clotheslines him again. Sheamus goes for the Brogue kick but Miz ducks and Sheamus lands on the top rope. Miz tries to eliminate him but Sheamus fights back in. Sheamus scoops Miz but Truth runs over and eliminates them both for the win.
- After the match, Sheamus lays out Miz on the floor with a Brogue kick and points at Truth before heading up the ramp.
- We go backstage and John Cena is yelling at Laurinaitis for screwing Zack Ryder out of the United States Title. Laurinaitis proposes Kane vs. Cena for the Royal Rumble and Cena calls it brilliant. Laurinaitis makes Swagger vs. Cena for tonight and that match is next. We go back to commercial.
Jack Swagger vs. John Cena
Back from commercial and the new WWE United States Champion Jack Swagger is in the ring. Out next comes John Cena for this non-title match. Cena runs to the ring and he looks ready to fight. Cena attacks Swagger before the bell and splashes him in the corner. Cena with a clothesline. Cena beats on Swagger some more and tosses him out of the ring. The bell hasn’t rang yet as Cena throws Swagger into the ring post and the announcers table. Cena continues the assault on Swagger as the referee tries to pull him away.
Cena beats Swagger up some more and whips him hard into the steel steps. Cena kicks Swagger in the face and takes apart the steps. Cena slams Swagger face first into the steps multiple times. Swagger is laid out on the bottom part of the steps as Cena grabs the top piece. Cena lifts the steps up but Kane’s pyro stops him. Cena enters the ring and waits on Kane to come out as his music plays. Kane appears on the big screen and says that was impressive, Cena is finally getting it. When they finally meet at the Rumble, Cena will have embraced the hate, Kane says. Kane makes the pyro go off in the ring as Cena looks confused. Back to commercial.
Brodus Clay vs. JTG
Back from the break and out comes Brodus Clay with his dancers. His opponent JTG is already in the ring. JTG tries some offense but Brodus dances it off and knocks him down, like only Brodus can do. Brodus with a big shoulder. Brodus continues to have fun and calls a suplex before throwing JTG over his head. Brodus hits the big running splash in the corner and then the big forearm off the ropes for the win.
Winner: Brodus Clay
- After the break, Daniel Bryan will give an update on AJ Lee’s condition.
- Back from the break and we get a video package from SmackDown where Big Show accidentally ran over AJ Lee in the main event. We go to the arena and out comes the World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan to the stage. Bryan says Big show is a cruel freak and had no problem running over his girlfriend AJ. Bryan says AJ has been traumatized and will never be the same. Bryan says Show could have let up and not hit her. He calls Big Show’s tears fake and tells him not to show his face on SmackDown again. Bryan says if he does, he’s going to make Show pay. Bryan announces he will defend his World Title against Mark Henry on this week’s SmackDown. Bryan dedicates the match to AJ. Bryan says AJ told him last week she loves him. He’s going to show her how much he appreciates that this week. Bryan heads to the ring.
Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho and CM Punk vs. Dolph Ziggler, Mark Henry and David Otunga
Bryan heads to the ring and next the lights go out. The crowd cheers big time as Chris Jericho appears and makes his way to the ring. Jericho walks around the ring and greets fans. Jericho takes a photo of a father and son as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Jericho is still greeting fans at ringside. Out next comes the WWE Champion CM Punk to a nice reaciton from the crowd. Punk and Ziggler start things out and trade holds. Punk slams Ziggler and stomps on him. Punk takes control with more offense and a suplex for 2. Punk tags in Bryan for a bit of double teaming. Bryan keeps in control of Ziggler but gets tripped up trying to leap frog and goes down.
Ziggler takes in control and tags in Otunga, who continues the assault on Bryan. Ziggler comes back in for another close 2 count on the World Champion. Ziggler works on Bryan’s leg as Vickie cheers him on from ringside. Bryan turns it around and tags in Punk as Otunga comes in. Otunga and Punk go at it now. Punk takes him down with a headlock. Otunga kicks Punk in the head and tags in Ziggler. Ziggler comes in and stomps away on Punk. Dolph hits a neckbreaker and shows off for the crowd. Dolph takes it back to the mat but Punk powers out with a knee to the spin. Jericho reaches for a tag and the crowd gets pumped. Ziggler stops Punk from tagging and Otunga comes back in. Otunga stomps away on Punk in the corner and clotheslines him. Otunga takes Punk to the top for a superplex but Punk fights him off and headbutts him to the mat. Punk hits the big elbow drop from the top.
Punk tags in Jericho and in he comes fired up. Jericho starts getting the crowd to cheer for him. Jericho makes a tag to Bryan and walks out of the ring. Jericho heads up the ramp, still pumped about something. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Ziggler is in control of Bryan. During the break, Ziggler took control and worked on the knee. Bryan manages to kick Ziggler to the mat now and tries to make a tag. Punk gets tagged in and unloads on Ziggler. Punk with a swinging neck breaker and the high knee in the corner. Punk hits the bulldog and goes to the apron. Punk springboards in and takes out Ziggler for a 2 count. Henry comes in and lays Punk out. Bryan charges and Henry puts him on the apron. Bryan hits Henry with a right hand and it just pisses the big man off. Bryan limps up the ramp but Henry catches him. Henry tosses Bryan around and they fight off to the side of the stage. Mick Foley’s music hits and out he comes to the ring.
Foley tells the referee that Laurinaitis put him in the match. Foley grabs the tag rope and waits for Punk to tag him in. Ziggler pulls Punk back and hits the leg drop for 2. Ziggler beats on Punk some more and hits a pair of neckbreakers for 2. Punk finally gets a break and tags in Foley as Otunga comes in. Foley with right hands before taking Otunga to the corner and beating him down. Foley runs and knees Otunga in the head. Foley kicks Otunga and drops him with the double arm DDT. Foley pulls out Socko and rams him down Otunga’s throat for the win.
Winners: Daniel Bryan, Mick Foley and CM Punk
- After the match, John Laurinaitis comes out and stops the celebration. Laurinaitis says he never gave Foley permission to be in the match and says Foley was not a legal participant in the match. Laurinaitis reverses the decision of the match and announces the winners as Mark Henry, David Otunga and Dolph Ziggler. Punk gets in his face about being disrespectful and says he won’t do anything about it. Punk tells Laurinaitis to shut his mouth and man up. Punk tells Laurinaitis to take his balls out of his purse and lay it all on the table. Punk says the fans have no idea who Laurinaitis is because when he was a competitor, he sucked. Punk brings up Road Warrior Animal being his brother and says Laurinaitis never amounted to anything but roadkill. Punk says Laurinaitis traded in his lame ass tights for his equally lame ass suit. Punk says Laurinaitis looks at a guy like him and can’t stand it because Punk achieved more in the past year than he has in his life. Punk continues to rip Laurinaitis. Punk says Laurinaitis is going to try and screw him out of pure jealousy. Punk says he is WWE Champion, he is the man and Laurinaitis can’t stand it. Punk says it doesn’t matter what happens because when it’s over, Punk will still be better. Punk says he won’t use his moves on Laurinaitis if he screws him. Punk says he will get the fans talking about Laurinaitis – how it looks like he just went through a meat grinder because CM Punk kicked his pathetic ass. The crowd chants Punk’s name. Punk raises his fist and makes Laurinaitis back down. Punk calls him pathetic and drops the microphone before walking to the ramp with the WWE Title. Foley mocks Laurinaitis from the ring as Laurinaitis looks on pissed off. Laurinaitis picks up the microphone and introduces himself to the crowd. He says he’s not pathetic and won’t be intimidated by CM Punk. Foley tells Laurinaitis to admit he plans on screwing CM Punk. Foley calls Laurinaitis a kiss ass.
The crowd chants “you suck” at Laurinaitis now and it pisses him off more. Laurinaitis asks Foley who in the hell he thinks he is and who he thinks he’s talking to. Laurinaitis says damn right he will screw CM Punk. Laurinaitis says he’s tired of being disrespected and pushed around. He’s tired of being bullied. He puts on the best show for the WWE Universe every week and he’s not appreciated. Laurinaitis says he’s not going to take it anymore and he’s not going to take it from Foley. Laurinaitis decks Foley with the microphone and lays him out. The crowd boos as Laurinaitis leaves the ring and RAW goes off the air.
Continue to refresh this page throughout the evening for the latest results.
Trivia 1993 – WCW fully withdrew from the NWA, surrendering the right to use NWA Title belts ...
- Ricardo Rodriguez is wrestling his first post-WWE match tonight at the Team Vision Dojo in Orlando...
- Zeb Colter has returned to Twitter and could be returning to WWE TV this week. Zeb has been quiet ...
PWMnaia.com reported that former TNA star Chris Sabin recently appeared on The Shining Wizards podca...
WWE NXT star Solomon Crowe suffered an injury at Saturday night's NXT live event in Palatka, Florida...