WWE Raw Results – May 23, 2011
– Tonight’s WWE RAW opens up with a graphic for the late Randy Savage before going to the normal WWE opening video.
– We’re live from the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon as Josh Matthews welcomes us to RAW. We go right to the ring and out comes Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler.
Lawler says he doesn’t want to take up too much time but he wants to say, finally our long national nightmare is over and Michael Cole has been beaten. Cole says he had Bret Hart last night because he knew Cole would try to get away from kissing his foot. Lawler introduces Bret and out comes The Hitman to the ring.
Bret says hello to Portland and says it’s always good to be back on RAW. Lawler takes a seat at the announcers table. Bret says he and Lawler have had their differences over the year but he always respected him. Bret says he has zero respect for Michael Cole and says it was his pleasure last night to help Cole kiss that foot. “The truth shall set your free” comes over the loudspeaker and out comes R-Truth with a mic.
Truth comes to the ring and says it’s an honor, he can’t believe his eyes. He asks Bret if he’s a ninety-time WWE Champion or something. The crowd is booing Truth. He says they have no sense and no home training. Truth tells Bret to ask him how many title matches he’s been in. Truth says zero. Truth talks about how rapping and dancing hasn’t got him anything. Truth borrows Bret’s glasses and goes to ringside with them. He finds a little kid in the front row and puts the glasses on his head. Truth says this means he should be next in line for a WWE Title match. Truth takes the glasses off the kids head and walks back in the ring. More heat from the crowd. Truth talks more about how entertaining the fans got him nowhere. Truth says actions speak louder than words and the action part of his brain is telling him he needs to beat up a Hall of Famer. Bret tells him to take his best shot. Bret says he got title matches because he’s the best there is, best there was and best there ever will be. Bret calls Truth a lunatic. Truth says he won’t stand here and be disrespected. John Cena’s music hits and out comes the WWE Champion as Truth is leaving the ring.
Cena limps his way to the ring and grabs a mic. He asks Truth to hold up and come back to the ring. Cena says it’s about time he and Truth had a little talk. Cena is a little beaten up from last night but he’s excited that Bret Hart is back in a WWE ring. They shake hands and Bret congratulates him on his win last night. Cena says his hands have been full with Miz lately but he can’t figure out when Truth went crazy. Cena asks him what’s up. Cena says they used to be cool. Truth says Cena knows nothing about cool and doesn’t know a damn thing about him. Truth says the whole conspiracy thing he’s been talking about has to do with Cena. Truth says the fans make sure everything is all about Cena. Cena says no, he makes sure things are all about the fans. Truth mocks Cena and says he never liked him. Truth says Bret and Cena are the same – propaganda tools to make the people feel good. Truth says he doesn’t care about the people or how they feel. He says it’s all about him and he won’t feel right until he gets a WWE Title shot. Cena says it’s time someone knock some sense into Truth and the e-mail alert goes off.
Matthews handles the General Manager’s announcement and Truth won’t be getting a shot. But there will be Truth and CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio and John Cena tonight. The special referee will be Bret Hart. The GM says he will be paying close attention to the match. Bret’s music hits as Truth storms out of the ring pissed. Bret goes to ringside and gives the kid his glasses that Truth took them back from earlier. Bret and Cena shake hands with the fans.
– We go backstage with Kane and Big Show sitting by a nice convertible talking about Nexus. Ricardo Rodriguez walks up and yells at them in Spanish, presumably to get off of Alberto Del Rio’s car. Show shoves Ricardo to the floor and goes back to talking to Kane. Del Rio walks up and yells at Show and Kane in Spanish. We have no idea what he says but Kane and Show walk off. Del Rio snatches Ricardo off up the floor, still running his mouth pissed off. We go to commercial.
WWE Tag Team Title Match: David Otunga and Michael McGillicutty vs. Big Show and Kane
Back from commercial and out comes the WWE Tag Team Champions Big Show and Kane. Out next comes CM Punk with Nexus members David Otunga, Michael McGillicutty and Mason Ryan. It’s going to be Kane and Otunga starting things out as Punk joins us on commentary.
The bell rings and Kane strikes first, taking Otunga to the ropes and then the mat. Otunga runs out of the ring and Kane chases him. Kane pulls Otunga back to the floor and drops him with a right hand. Kane slams Otunga’s head into the apron and brings it back in the ring. Kane tags in Big Show for a bit of double teaming as Show hits Otunga with a big chop. Show goes for another but Otunga ducks and tags in McGillicutty. Show shoves him into the corner and wails away with body shots and a big chop. Show drops McGillicutty with another big chop and then stands on him.
Show drops McGillicutty with a big shot and then clotheslines him over to the floor. Nexus regroups on the floor as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Otunga has Kane down on the mat. The ref is distracted, allowing McGillicutty to take a cheap shot. Otunga goes back to work on Kane. Otunga tags out and McGillicitty picks up where he left off. They go at it until McGillicutty takes back control and tags in Otunga. Otunga with a neckbreaker on Kane and a 2 count. Otunga with a headlock now. Show and McGillicutty are taggd in at the same time. Show runs over him and hits a big back splash in the corner. Show knocks him down with a shoulder. Mason Ryan distracts the referee but Kane clotheslines him over the ropes. Show grabs Otunga and McGillicutty for a chokeslam. The ref is getting up but CM Punk manages to hit Show first. McGillicutty and Otunga double DDT Show and cover him for the pin, the win and the titles.
Winners and New WWE Tag Team Champions: David Otunga and Michael McGillicutty
– Nexus heads to the ramp to celebrate, leaving Show and Kane pissed off in the ring. Back to commercial.
– We get hype for WWE Capitol Punishment and footage from Randy Orton signing copies of That’s What I Am at Walmart.
– We get replays of Nexus winning the WWE Tag Team Titles a few minutes ago.
– Scott Stanford is backstage with Kane and Big Show. Show is furious and gets in Stanford’s face. He says they got robbed. Alberto Del Rio walks up smiling and says something in Spanish to Show. Del Rio smacks Show and takes off running. we hear a crash and the camera catches up to Show laying down. He’s been hit by Del Rio’s car that Rodriguez is driving. Kane screams for someone to come help Show. Show is holding his knee in pain big time. EMT’s rush over to check on Show and he pushes everyone off. Show stands up but falls right back down, still screaming and holding his knee. EMT’s tend to Show as we go to commercial.
– Back from commercial and EMT’s are tending to Big Show’s knee. He tries to stand up but falls back down. He tells everyone to give him some room to breathe and says he’s alright. He tries to stand again and has to hold himself up on a railing. The trainers want him to sit on a stretcher but he refuses. Show is bent over in pain as we go to the ring.
Jack Swagger vs. Evan Bourne
We go to the ring and out comes Jack Swagger. Evan Bourne is out next to a decent reaction from the crowd.
The bell rings and they go at it. Swagger takes it to the corner but misses a big right hand. Bourne goes to work on Swagger but gets dropped with a big boot. Swagger beats Bourne with forearms and elbow drops on the mat now. Swagger with a belly to belly suplex and a 2 count. Swagger with an armlock now. Swagger manhandles Bourne’s arm. Bourne fights out with a kick to the head. Swagger goes for the Vader splash off the second rope but Bourne moves. Bourne gets up and fights back with kicks. He goes for a jumping kick but Swagger goes for the ankle lock. Bourne counters and rolls Swagger up for a close 2 count.
More back and forth action until Swagger catches Bourne out of nowhere with a gutwrench powerbomb and slams him to the mat hard for the pin and the win.
Winner: Jack Swagger
– After the match, Swagger jogs around the inside of the ring to celebrate. Bourne gets up and drops Swagger with a kick to the face and runs off to the stage. Swagger gets up pissed off.
– We see Michael Cole walking backstage with his head down. People are laughing at him, including the Divas. He stops to shake Eve Torres’ hand and she puts up her foot for him to shake. Cole walks off looking sad as we go to commercial.
– We come back to Matthews and Lawler cracking jokes on Cole. They congratulate The Rock on Fast Five’s success of over $506 million worldwide at the box office.
– Justin Roberts is int he ring and he introduces “the voice of WWE” Michael Cole. Cole comes out looking sad as the crowd boo’s him. Cole grabs a mic and a “you suck toes” chant breaks out from the crowd. Cole asks for everyone’s attention and says they’re right, he doesn’t deserve the attention. Cole says this isn’t about him anymore and should have never been about him. Cole says he came out here to put everything behind he and Lawler. Cole apologizes to Lawler, Matthews, Roberts, the timekeeper, the fans and everyone else. Cole apologizes for his behavior over the past few months. Cole says he wants to come back home, sit next to Lawler every week and do RAW commentary.
Cole says there will be no more Colemine and no more matches. He begs for everyone to accept his apology but the fans boo him. Lawler says that sounds good to him. Lawler thanks Cole for coming out to apologize. Lawler also thanks Cole for giving him a picture that will be on his Christmas cards this year. Lawler shows a picture on the big screen of his foot in Cole’s mouth last night. A “you suck toes” chant breaks out again. Lawler hands Cole some breath mints and says Cole might need a lifetime supply of those. Cole says he deserves all of this and takes a seat at the announcer’s table. The Miz’s music hits and out he comes with Alex Riley.
Miz enters the ring and the crowd boos. Miz says there’s only one reason he didn’t win the WWE Title last night – Alex Riley. Miz says this isn’t a one time thing, it’s happened before. Miz brings up Extreme Rules where Riley didn’t even show up for the cage match. Miz talks about the next night on RAW and shows footage of the referee reversing the decision after Riley was caught cheating on Miz’s behalf. Miz talks about Over the Limit and how their plan was working to perfection until Riley screwed it up. Miz wants the RAW General Manager to give him another chance, a one-on-one WWE Title Match against John Cena with Riley banned from ringside. Miz tells the GM he’s waiting for the decision.
Miz says Riley was so useless at Over the Limit that it was him who felt like he was in a handicap match, not Cena. Miz waits for the GM to chime in. Miz says he should be WWE Champion right now and will not leave the ring until the GM makes his decision. The e-mail alert finally goes off and Matthews announces, from the GM, that Miz’s request for a title shot is denied. Miz lost last night so as far as the GM is concerned, he’s done with Cena. Miz gets pissed and turns to Riley. Miz says it’s all Riley’s fault. Miz calls him a worthless waste of space and asks him to explain himself. Riley says he wasn’t the one who said “I Quit.” A “you quit” chant breaks out from the crowd. Miz mushes Riley in the face and tells him to shut his mouth. Miz says he gave Riley a personal services contract and without him, he wouldn’t even be in WWE. Miz says Riley is nothing without him and rode his coattails all the way to the main event of WrestleMania. Miz says Riley has been a big disappointment and is sick of his stupidity. Miz is sick of his face, sick of him period. Miz fires Riley.
Miz pushes Riley’s face again. Riley drops him with a right hand and jumps on top of him with more rights and lefts. Miz escapes to the floor but Riley goes after him. Riley unloads on Miz and throws him into the barrier. Riley throws Miz across the announcers table and slams him into it again. Riley brings it back in the ring and the crowd starts chanting his name. Riley unloads on Miz in the corner and yelling in his face. Riley stands there as the crowd pops big time for him. Miz goes to get up but Riley runs and kicks him in the head. Riley heads to the back with Miz laid out in the ring. Back to commercial.
The Bella Twins, Maryse and Melina vs. Gail Kim, Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly and Beth Phoenix
Back from the break and out comes Nikki Bella, WWE Divas Champion Brie Bella, Maryse and Melina. Their opponents Kelly Kelly, Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim and Eve are out next. Kelly and one of the Bellas start things out. Kelly unloads with a quick flurry of offense but Kharma’s music interrupts things early on and out she comes.
Kharma marches to the ring as the eight Divas look on. Kharma stops and eyes them all. She hops up in the ring and is surrounded by Divas. Kharma looks around at all of them circled. She shakes her arms and drops to her knees. Kharma starts crying and shaking in the middle of the ring. This goes on for a minute or two and there’s some boos from the crowd. We go to commercial with Kharma still on her knees crying.
– Back from the break and we see replays of Kharma having a breakdown in the ring a few minutes ago. That’s it, up next is the Slam of the Week and it’s from three weeks ago where Kofi Kingston beat Sheamus at Extreme Rules.
Kofi Kingston vs. Drew McIntyre
We go to the ring and out comes the WWE United States Champion Kofi Kingston. Out next comes Drew McIntyre for this non-title match.
The bell rings and they go to the corner. Drew misses a big right hand but kicks Kofi to the mat. Drew with an uppercut and a big right hand to drop Kofi. Drew misses a clothesline, they trade leap frogs, run the ropes again and Kofi tries to slide over Drew’s back but falls on his knee. Drew goes to work on Kofi’s knee now with knee drops and stomps. Drew slams Kofi’s knee into the ringpost now and ties a figure four around it. The hold is broken but the damage is done to Kofi. Drew with a 2 count now.
Drew with a knee to the head now. Drew goes back to work on Kofi’s leg. Kofi leaps up out of nowhere on one leg and kicks Drew in the head, sending him to the mat. Kofi with chops now and a leg sweep. Kofi limps around and hits the Boom Drop. Kofi goes for Trouble in Paradise but falls on his bad knee. Drew kicks him in the head for another 2 count.
Kofi ends up on Drew’s shoulders but gets powerbombed to the mat. Another 2 count for Drew. Drew throws Kofi into the corner and beats him down. Drew with short clotheslines in the corner. He goes for another clothesline but Kofi flips around him and drops him for the pin and the win.
Winner: Kofi Kingston
– We see Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero backstage watching the match on a TV screen before going to replays.
– The announcers talk about WWE’s Capitol Punishment pay-per-view and show us the same mock press conference with President Obama that they aired last night.
– Nexus are backstage celebrating the WWE Tag Team Title win. CM Punk says watch what he’s about to do and heads to the ring for tonight’s main event as we go to break.
– Back from the break and we get replays from earlier where Big Show injured his leg after being hit by Ricardo Rodriguez driving Alberto Del Rio’s car. Scott Stanford is with Del Rio, who requested some time to speak. Del Rio says Big Show brought this on himself because he disrespected him. Del Rio says he had nothing to do with this and it’s not his fault. Del Rio says this is all Ricardo’s fault, mumbles something in Spanish and walks off. Cole says Big Show has been taken to a nearby hospital for a further diagnosis.
– Lawler brings up the tragic death of Randy Savage. Lawler talks about how great of a person Savage was and says he will always be a Hall of Famer, no matter what. Lawler leads us into a video tribute to Savage.
– We come back to the arena and the crowd is standing for Savage. Back to commercial.
CM Punk and R-Truth vs. John Cena and Rey Mysterio
Back from the commercial and out comes the special referee for tonight’s main event – Bret Hart. Out first comes R-Truth and he’s booed the whole way to the ring. His partner CM Punk is out next by himself. Rey Mysterio’s music hits and he comes to the ring to a big pop from the crowd. Out next comes the WWE Champion John Cena as we get ready to go.
Punk is wearing yellow boots and pink trunks like Randy Savage. Truth and Cena start the match off. Truth misses a clothesline and Cena goes to work on him. Cena with a big hip toss and then he throws Truth over the top rope to the floor. Punk comes out to check on Truth as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Punk is hitting Cena with elbows in the corner. Cena comes back with a bulldog and a suplex on Punk. Cena charges but Punk moves Bret Hart in front of him. Punk attacks Cena now and beats him down, tagging in R-Truth. Truth comes in and stomps away on Cena. Truth whips Cena hard into the corner and gets a 2 count. Truth with another 2 count. Punk is tagged back in and goes to work on Cena. Punk with a side sweep and a 2 count. Punk insults Bret for counting slow. Punk scoop slams Cena and goes to the second rope, coming down with a short elbow and a 2 count.
Punk continues the offense on Cena and tags Truth back in. Truth with a suplex for another 2 count. Truth argues with Bret and gets in his face but Bret yells right back. Truth goes back to work on Cena in the corner. Truth charges and Cena hits him with a big boot. Punk is tagged back in and hits Cena with a backbreaker. Punk teases a Sharpshooter but Cena counters and goes for an STF. Punk pushes him off and lifts him for a GTS. Cena slides out and drops Punk with a DDT. Cena hits Punk and tags in Rey. Rey comes off the top rope and hits a series of moves o Punk. They trade roll ups and Rey kicks Punk in the face for a 2 count as Truth broke the pin. Cena comes in for an Attitude Adjustment on Truth but Truth counters and lays Cena out. Truth turns his back and Rey kicks him into 619 position. Punk goes for a GTS on Rey but Rey counters and hits him with 619. Bret drops Punk and applies a Sharpshooter. Rey comes off the top with a leg drop on Punk while he’s in the Sharpshooter. Rey covers Punk for the pin and the win.
Winners: John Cena and Rey Mysterio
– After the match, Cena and Mysterio raise Bret’s arms as we go to replays. RAW goes off the air with the three celebrating in the ring together.
Follow PWMania.com on Twitter at twitter.com/pwmania.