WWE Raw Results – September 9, 2013
- Tonight’s RAW opens up with WWE Hall of Famer Edge making his way out to a huge pop from the Toronto crowd. Michael Cole welcomes us to RAW as Edge makes his way out.
Edge says every time he comes out, fans remind him of why this is home. He welcomes us to The Cutting Edge. Edge says Triple H requested he be here tonight because it would be good for business. Fans boo Triple H. Edge says Triple H thought it would be good if he had a reunion tonight. Not a reunion with his best friend Christian, but a reunion with Randy Orton, his former partner in Rated RKO. Edge says Orton has nothing interesting to say and says it’s like watching paint dry. Edge says Orton is just Triple H’s lackey now. Edge has decided Orton won’t be his guest on The Cutting Edge tonight. Fans start chanting “yes” now. Edge says he’s going to have a guest that’s good for business. Edge brings out Daniel Bryan to a big pop.
We see footage from last week where Big Show was forced to knock Bryan out. Bryan says no matter what they keep doing to him, he will beat Orton for the WWE Title at Night of Champions. Edge says Bryan deserves a fair shot in beating Orton. Edge asks if Bryan thinks he can beat Orton. Bryan does. Edge goes on but Orton’s music interrupts and out he comes to the stage.
Orton comes out and rips Canada. He pokes fun at Edge for his broken neck. Edge fires back and calls Orton spineless. Edge takes a shot at Triple H. Triple H’s music hits and out he comes to the stage beside Orton. Edge says he’s not employed by WWE so he doesn’t have to bite his tongue. Edge says Triple H doesn’t know a damn thing about finding talent. He says Triple H didn’t think Edge, Chris Jericho or John Cena could make it, now he doesn’t think Bryan can make it. Triple H says it’s good to see Edge and plugs Haven on Syfy. Triple H says he may have been wrong about talent over the years but he’s also been right a lot. He was wrong about Cena and Jericho. Time will tell with Bryan, he says. Triple H says there was one guy he was right about when he said he would be a failure – Edge. Triple H says we can pretend, because we’re in Canada, that Edge is a star and a legend but the reality is, Edge was a failure. Triple H says Edge never drew a dime. Triple H is going to give Bryan the chance to prove him wrong tonight. Triple H announces Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose for tonight. Since The Shield will be in Ambrose’s corner, Triple H is going to let Bryan have someone in his corner – Big Show. Triple H says he’s not a bad guy and everyone should learn to get along with him. Triple H says he’s not a dictator. An “asshole” chant breaks out. Edge says he didn’t have to marry into success, he earned his Hall of Fame ring. Edge says he isn’t a dictator, he’s just a dick. Triple H rips on Edge’s injured neck some more. Triple H says if he can’t hurt Edge, maybe he can hurt the ones he loves. The Shield come out and they’re dragging Christian. They drop him on the ramp and Edge runs up to check on him as Orton, Triple H and The Shield head to the back. Edge calls for some help for Christian. We go to commercial.
- Back from the break and The Shield gets in between Edge and Triple H & Stephanie McMahon backstage. Edge wishes WWE doctors would clear him so he can go at it with Triple H. Triple H stands with The Shield and yells at Edge for walking into his city and doing what he’s done. Triple H tells him to leave but Edge doesn’t move. Triple H threatens to have The Shield escort him out. Edge turns and walks out.
Kofi Kingston vs. Curtis Axel
We go to the ring and Kofi Kingston waits. We see footage from SmackDown where Kofi pinned Curtis Axel in a non-title match. Out comes Axel with Paul Heyman for another non-title match.
The match starts and they go at it. Axel takes control and keeps Kofi grounded. Kofi works on making a comeback and dropkicks Axel. Axel runs into boots in the corner. Kofi nails SOS but Axel kicks out at 2. We see Heyman looking stressed out at ringside. Apparently he hasn’t shaved in a while. They run around the ring, then back in and Axel kicks Kofi in the face. Axel stomps away on Kofi. Axel unloads with knees to the back in the corner and is disqualified for not breaking when the referee told him to.
Winner by DQ: Kofi Kingston
- After the match, Heyman comes in the ring to calm Axel down. He says this can’t happen at Night of Champions. Fans chant for CM Punk. Axel says it won’t happen and goes back to work on Kofi. Kofi fights him off and nails a Trouble In Paradise. Heyman just looks down at Axel as Kofi celebrates up the ramp.
- The announcers talk about Cody Rhodes getting fired last week. They hype Goldust vs. Randy Orton for later tonight. If Goldust wins, Cody can get his job back. We cut to a video looking back at Goldust’s WWE career.
- Back from the break and we see Curtis Axel and a WWE referee helping Paul Heyman off the floor in a hallway backstage. Axel yells for someone to clear the trainer’s room. They help Heyman to the trainer’s room and up on a table. Apparently Heyman slipped on some water in the hallway. Heyman wants his own doctor to look at him, not a WWE doctor. He lets the WWE doctor put some ice on his knee. Axel wants to know who put the water in the hallway.
- The announcers show us footage from last week’s RAW where Big Show was forced to face Daniel Bryan.
- Big Show is backstage looking sad. Booker T walks in. Booker knows what happened last week was bad and knows Show is going to take it out on everyone tonight. Show says he wants to bad. Booker brings up how Cody Rhodes was fired for speaking his mind. Booker talks about fans getting on Show, calling him a sellout. Booker says he would have done the same thing last week. Booker says the people are going to want Show to be a hero but Show needs to think about his daughter and his family. Booker tells Show to not let his pride make a mistake he can’t take back. Show says pride is about all he has left. Booker tells him to be a professional out there and Show walks off.
- We get a promo video for The Wyatt Family.
Dolph Ziggler vs. Bray Wyatt
Back from the break and Dolph Ziggler is waiting in the ring. He has to prove himself to Triple H again. The lights go out, come back on and out comes Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan and Luke Harper with the lantern. Bray heads to the ring after getting up from his rocking chair.
Wyatt takes control early on and beats Ziggler down while talking trash. Wyatt with a big slam. He hangs upside down in the corner and laughs. Ziggler catches him with a dropkick. Rowan interferes and Wyatt runs over Ziggler in the middle of the ring. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Wyatt is still in control. Wyatt charges in the corner but Ziggler moves. Ziggler jumps on his back and wails away. Ziggler with a neckbreaker. Ziggler drops a big elbow for a 1 count. Ziggler counters again and nails the big leg drop for a 2 count. Ziggler fights Rowan and Harper off the apron but Wyatt comes back. Wyatt nails Sister Abigail for the win.
Winner: Bray Wyatt
- After the match, The Wyatt Family poses over Ziggler. We go back to commercial.
- We get more hype for Goldust’s return and see a video package of some of his funniest moments.
- We come back to the ring and Curtis Axel is helping Paul Heyman out to the ring. Heyman is walking with crutches and they have a doctor with them.
Heyman comes out and says he’s not a supporter of socialized medicine and doesn’t believe in the Canadian healthcare system, which is why he brings his personal doctor with him when he travels to Canada. He introduces his doctor from New York City. Heyman says he tore either his meniscus or his ACL. A proper MRI in the United States will tell more. Heyman withdraws himself from competition at Night of Champions. Heyman says he’s been looking forward to putting Punk out of his misery but he’s an injured man now. Heyman says he will go back home and receive proper medical care. Heyman promises he will be back. He drops the mic and goes to walk off but out comes RAW General Manager Brad Maddox and Dr. Sampson. Maddox reminds Heyman they have a full medical staff to assist Heyman. Maddox says the only way to be removed from the match is to be evaluated by WWE doctors. Dr. Sampson wants Heyman to sit in a chair so he can examine the knee. Fans chant “sit” and Heyman is helped into the chair by Axel and the other doctor.
A “this is awkward” chant breaks out as Dr. Sampson looks at Heyman’s knee. Heyman rants about the doctor being careful. Fans start chanting for CM Punk as the examination continues. Sampson talks about what’s not wrong with Heyman and says his clinical opinion is that Heyman is fine. Heyman is upset. He says Maddox is making a very big mistake. CM Punk’s music hits and out he comes to a big pop. Punk runs down winth a kendo stick and hits Heyman’s doctor first. Punk with kendo stick shots for Axel. Heyman runs away, bad knee and all, through the crowd. Fans chant for Punk as he poses on the turnbuckle with the kendo stick. Punk goes to let the fake doctor leave the ring but unloads on him with more kendo stick shots. Punk’s music hits as we go to replays.
- Still to come, Ambrose vs. Bryan. Back to commercial.
Layla, Alicia Fox and Aksana vs. Natalya, Brie Bella and Naomi
WWE Divas Champion AJ Lee is out on commentary for this one. The Total Divas are also at ringside. Typical back and forth Divas tag match. Aksana accidentally splashes Alicia when Natalya moves. Natalya dumps her to the floor and clotheslines Alicia. Natalya goes for the Sharpshooter and gets the win.
Winners: Natalya, Brie Bella and Naomi
- After the match, AJ taunts her Night of Champions opponents from the floor.
- Still to come, Goldust vs. Orton. We get another promo video for Goldust.
R-Truth vs. Alberto Del Rio
Back from the break and R-Truth is rapping his way to the ring. Out next comes World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio for a non-title match. We see a side video from earlier where Rob Van Dam says he will be crowned World Heavyweight Champion on Sunday.
Back and forth to start the match. Truth ends up sending Del Rio to the floor with a clothesline. Truth leaps out over the top rope and takes Del Rio down on the floor. They come back in and Del Rio hits a big kick to the head, sending Truth from the apron back to the floor. Del Rio slams Truth’s head into the apron. Del Rio brings it back in the ring with a headlock. More back and forth action. Fans chant for RVD. Truth makes a comeback and drops Del Rio on his face. Truth with a 2 count. Now fans are chanting for The Undertaker. They’ve also chanted for the announcers during this match. Del Rio turns it around and nails the superkick. Del Rio with the cross armbreaker for the win.
Winner: Alberto Del Rio
- Back from commercial and it’s announced a Tag Team Turmoil Match to crown new #1 contenders will take place at Night of Champions with 3MB, Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro, The Usos, Darren Young and Titus O’Neil plus Tensai and Brodus Clay.
Santino Marella vs. Antonio Cesaro
Back from the break and out comes Zeb Colter, Antonio Cesaro and Jack Swagger. Colter cuts a promo like usual. Out comes the returning Santino Marella. Good back and forth match with Cesaro spinning Santino around for maybe two minutes. The crowd chanted “holy shit” at the spot. Santino gets the win after having the Cobra countered and making a comeback.
Winner: Santino Marella
- Still to come, Orton vs. Goldust. Back to commercial.
Damien Sandow vs. The Miz
Back from the break and Damien Sandow is in the ring with his briefcase. He says he’s our uncrowned champion of the world. The music interrupts and out comes The Miz.
The match ends when Fandango’s music hits. He comes out with Summer Rae, distracts The Miz, allowing Sandow to get the win.
Winner: Damien Sandow
- Renee Young is backstage with Goldust. He says it’s no secret he’s been the screw-up of the family. He’s messed up all his chances here but Cody getting fired is ridiculous. He says Triple H throwing his weight around and embarrassing the Rhodes family is not cool. Goldust says after tonight, Orton will never forget the name of… Triple H appears and cuts him off. Triple H asks him how he’s been doing. Triple H talks about the pressure of the match and wishes Goldust good luck. Back to commercial.
Randy Orton vs. Goldust
Out first comes WWE Champion Randy Orton. Goldust is out next to a nice pop. Back and forth to start. Goldust turns it around and sends Orton to the floor. A “you still got it” chant breaks out. Orton comes back in and misses a dropkick. Goldust with a 2 count. Goldust with a big right hand and chops in the corner.
Orton turns it around and unloads on Goldust in the corner. Goldust blocks a powerslam and rolls Orton up for 2. Goldust goes for Shattered Dreams but Orton rolls out of the ring. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Orton is working Goldust over on the floor. Goldust blocks a shot into the steps and slams Orton’s head into them. Goldust with a rake across the back and a right hand. Goldust brings it back in the ring but Orton cuts him off. Orton runs Goldust into the ring post and he goes down out on the floor. Orton backdrops Goldust over the fan barrier and slams him into the steps. Orton brings it back in the ring for a 2 count.
Orton keeps control of Goldust and stomps on him. Orton with another pin attempt. Goldust fights out of a headlock but Orton drops him with a knee to the gut. Goldust counters with a bulldog. Goldust rallies for a comeback and the fans get behind him. Orton misses a clothesline and Goldust hits a pair of his own. Goldust with the big drop down right hand. Goldust mounts Orton in the corner with more right hands. Orton almost runs the referee over and Goldust rolls him up for a close 2 count. Orton nails the second rope draping DDT. Orton mocks Daniel Bryan’s “yes” chant while Goldust is down. Orton drops down for the RKO but Goldust blocks it and nails Cross Rhodes for a close 2 count.
Orton rolls Goldust up for a close 2 count. Goldust attacks but Orton counters and nails the RKO for the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
- After the match, we go to replays. Orton stands over Goldust with the WWE Title and takes a mic. Orton says it looks like Goldust’s dream of saving Cody’s career has been shattered, just like Daniel Bryan’s dream of taking the WWE Title will be shattered at Night of Champions. Orton’s music hits. He stands over Goldust with the WWE Title high in the air. We go to commercial.
- Back from the break and we get another vignette for Los Matadores.
- We see Goldust walking backstage. Stephanie McMahon approaches him and says he must be so disappointed. She knows Cody and his wife to be are disappointed because Cody no longer has a job. Stephanie says it’s all because of Dustin. She says he let his family, his father and the WWE Universe down. She asks how it feels to be a loser, just like Cody. She tells Goldust to go join Cody in the unemployment line and tell Dusty she says hi. Goldust walks off looking sad.
Rob Van Dam vs. Ryback
We go to the ring and out comes Ricardo Rodriguez to do the introduction for Rob Van Dam. RVD and Ricardo head to the ring as we see footage from RVD vs. Orton on SmackDown where Alberto Del Rio got involved. We go to commercial as RVD hits the ring.
Back from the break and out comes Ryback. Alberto Del Rio’s music hits and out he comes after Ryback enters the ring. Del Rio says RVD is nothing but a washed up loser. He says Ricardo is a peasant. Without Del Rio, he is nothing. Del Rio says they belong together. Del Rio says fans will be chanting ADR after Night of Champions. RVD and Ryback go at it now.
Ryback takes control and puts RVD on the mat, dropping his head repeatedly. RVD fights back with a kick to the head. Ryback counters again and catches RVD in mid-air. Ryback counters but RVD takes him back down. RVD nails Rolling Thunder for a 2 count. RVD with a senton from the top for another pin attempt. RVD goes up top for the Five Star but Ryback rolls to the floor. RVD leaps out to the floor but Ryback moves and he hits the barrier hard. Ryback rams RVD into the ring post, crotch first, and gets disqualified.
Winner by DQ: Rob Van Dam
- After the match, Ryback brings RVD in the ring and nails Shellshocked.
- Stephanie McMahon is backstage with Big Show. She says he can’t lay a hand on The Shield tonight and if he does, he will be fired. She says he has a special seat for Show tonight. Stephanie walks off and Show gets upset. He grabs a large monitor and slams it on the ground. Back to commercial.
Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose
Back from the break and out comes WWE United States Champion Dean Ambrose with WWE Tag Team Champions Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns. Big Show comes out next to be in Bryan’s corner. Daniel Bryan is out next to a big pop.
The bell rings and they go at it. Back and forth to start. Bryan takes Ambrose down and kicks him in the back several times. Bryan drops a knee and covers for 2. Show cheers Bryan on as he sits at ringside. Bryan goes on and applies a surfboard submission. Ambrose breaks the hold by grabbing the middle rope. Ambrose takes Bryan to the corner and works him over now. Bryan with a big clothesline. Bryan goes to the top but gets knocked to the floor. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and Ambrose is in control. Show gets the crowd to rally behind Bryan. Ambrose charges in the corner but Bryan moves and he hits the ring post with his shoulder. Roman Reigns encourages Ambrose. Bryan comes back with dropkicks in the corner. Bryan with kicks as the crowd chants. Bryan with a hurricanrana from the top and a 2 count. Bryan with more kicks. Ambrose ducks the roundhouse and goes for a submission. Bryan counters for 2. Bryan with the Yes Lock now. Ambrose makes it to the bottom rope.
Ambrose turns it back around and gets a close 2 count. Ambrose with right hands on Bryan now. Ambrose takes Bryan up to the top but Bryan turns it around, turns Ambrose upside down and kicks him. Bryan with a low dropkick to the face. Bryan with a super backdrop from the top for a 2 count. More back and forth. Ambrose tosses Bryan out to the floor. Reigns goes to spear Bryan but Bryan moves and he hits the steel steps. Rollins comes flying at Bryan but hits the announcers table instead. Ambrose attacks from behind and takes Bryan out on the floor. Show looks on and can do nothing about it. Ambrose brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Bryan with a roll up out of nowhere for the win.
Winner: Daniel Bryan
- After the match, Ambrose gets tossed out onto Rollins and Reigns. Randy Orton’s music hits and out he comes running to the ring. Bryan stops him with a suicide dive to the floor. They start brawling at ringside. The Shield join in and help Orton beat Bryan down. Big Show comes over with a steel chair but realizes he can’t do anything to help Bryan or he will get fired. They roll Bryan back in the ring. Orton comes in and nails a RKO. Orton’s music hits but out comes Triple H and Stephanie. Triple H says Show needs to put his feelings aside and be a professional. He wants Show to go into the ring and knock Bryan out. Triple H orders Show to the ring. Orton gets in Show’s face and yells at him. Orton holds Bryan up and waits for Show to hit the knockout punch. Show won’t do it so Orton throws Bryan to the mat. Show goes to the corner and faces the crowd. Orton yells at him to turn around and face him. Orton yells some more and orders Show to knock Bryan out. Bryan comes with a knee to Orton’s face out of nowhere. Bryan gets a “yes” chant going as he poses with the WWE Title over Orton. RAW goes off the air with Bryan posing with the WWE Title.
Trivia 1977 – Antonio Inoki defeated kickboxer Eddie Everett in the 5th round of a Wrestler vs...
Watch several video highlights from WWE SmackDown. ...
If you've listened to Paul Heyman's recent appearances on Steve Austin and Chris Jericho's podcasts,...
Kane SHOULD BE the most over heel in the industry right now not named Brock Lesnar. I know how ridic...
From the ashes of the best faction to grace the squared circle of World Wrestling Entertainment in r...