WWE Raw Supershow Results – January 23, 2012
- Tonight’s WWE RAW Supershow kicks off with the normal opening video before Michael Cole welcomes us to Phoenix, Arizona. Cult of Personality hits as the WWE Champion CM Punk makes his way out to a big reaction.
Punk takes a seat in the middle of the ring and talks about Sunday’s Royal Rumble pay-per-view and his WWE Title match against Dolph Ziggler. Punk admits Ziggler has beaten him three times in the past month but says those wins were hand delivered by John Laurinaitis, who happens to be the guest referee for Sunday. Punk describes Laurinaitis in one word – failure. Punk says he failed as a wrestler and is a failure as an executive. A failure as a human being. Punk says Laurinaitis sucks at life. Punk shows footage from last week of Laurinaitis going off on Mick Foley and admitting he would screw CM Punk before laying Foley out.
Punk hints that he could break Laurinaitis’ arms to keep him from refereeing the match. Punk calls Laurinaitis out to the ring so he can say the things he said to Foley last week to Punk’s face right now. Punk wants Laurinaitis to take his balls out of his purse and be a man for once. The crowd chants for Punk as we wait on Laurinaitis. He doesn’t show so Punk leaves. Punk says he’s going to find Laurinaitis when John Cena’s music hits and out he comes to a mixed reaction.
Punk says he didn’t want John The Boy Scout, he wanted John Laurinaitis. Cena says he was sick of hearing Punk ramble. Cena says he’s out here for business so watch and learn. Cena is upset about Laurinaitis screwing Zack Ryder over and says tonight, Laurinaitis will give Ryder a rematch for the United States Title. Cena says Laurinaitis will also give him a singles match with Kane tonight. Cena says Laurinaitis will also resign as the Interim RAW General Manager tonight. Punk says that sounds fine to him and starts in on Cena when Laurinaitis walks out to boos.
Laurinaitis says he won’t be intimidated by Cena or Punk. Punk invites Laurinaitis down to the ring and taunts him. Laurinaitis says he’s the boss. He says he apologized to Zack Ryder already. He says Ryder is here tonight and medically cleared to compete. Kane vs. Ryder in a Falls Count Anywhere Match is announced. If Cena gets involved, Ryder will never get a United States Title rematch. Laurinaitis announces Cena and Punk in tag team action tonight. Laurinaitis calls for a referee and it looks like we have a match as Vickie Guerrero comes out with Dolph Ziggler and the WWE United States Champion Jack Swagger.
Ziggler takes the mic and says Punk should be worried about Sunday because he’s going to beat him for the WWE Title. Swagger takes the mic and says he’s Cena is dead meat for what he did last week. Swagger and Ziggler head to the ring with Vickie. We see Laurinaitis walking to the ringside area also.
Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger vs. CM Punk and John Cena
Ziggler and Punk start things out. They go back and forth until Punk gets the tag. Punk goes for a GTS but Ziggler slides out and rolls to the floor as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Cena is pinning Ziggler for 2. Ziggler fights back and shows off after ducking Cena. Swagger comes in but Cena drops him. Cena mocks Ziggler and knocks him off the apron. Swagger lays Cena out from behind and stomps away in the corner. Swagger with right hands until the referee pulls him off. Ziggler gets a cheap shot in on Cena as Swagger goes in for a pin attempt. Swagger with a hold now as Vickie cheers him on from ringside.
Cena fights out with a suplex but Swagger tags in Ziggler. Ziggler dropkicks Cena and covers for 2. Ziggler nails a bunch of elbow drops then does sit ups using Cena for leverage. Ziggler with another 2 count. Swagger comes back in after a cheap shot and hits the Swagger Bomb from the corner. Another 2 count on Cena. Swagger with another hold on Cena. Cena hits the Attitude Adjustment out of nowhere on Swagger as Punk reaches in for the tag. Ziggler and Punk come in at the same time. Punk springboards in and clotheslines Dolph. Punk with a swinging neckbreaker and the high knee in the corner followed by the bulldog. Punk goes for GTS but Ziggler counters. Punk kicks Ziggler in the head and covers him for a 2 count as Swagger breaks the pin. Cena takes Swagger to the floor but Swagger puts the ankle lock. Cena counters it into a STF on the floor. Punk climbs up for the elbow drop on Ziggler but Laurinaitis steps on the apron. Punk grabs Laurinaitis by his shirt and he falls off the apron. Ziggler rolls Punk up from behind for the win.
Winners: Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger
- After the match, Punk takes the mic and says it’s fine if Laurinaitis screws him on Sunday because at some point, he plans on beating the hell out of Laurinaitis. Punk says he wants Laurinaitis to be something for one night, something he’s never been in his whole life – a WWE Superstar. Punk says if Laurinaitis wants to be famous, he will make him famous. Punk proposes a match between the two for tonight. Laurinaitis accepts the challenge and walks off.
- Lawler and Cole hype the match for later tonight and we see Chris Jericho walking through the back. He’s headed out for the return of The Highlight Reel. Back to commercial.
- Back from commercial and out comes Chris Jericho for The Highlight Reel. Jericho greets the fans at ringside as he makes his way into the ring. The usual Highlight Reel setup is in the ring. Jerry Lawler confirms that Jericho will be in the 30-man Royal Rumble match this year.
Jericho motions for the crowd to be quiet so he can speak. The crowd starts to boo as he runs out of the ring, telling everyone to hold up. Jericho runs to the back and comes back out with a t-shirt gun. Jericho loads a t-shirt in the gun and teases each side of the crowd. Jericho then grabs the camera from the cameraman and films around the crowd, getting the fans to cheer. Jericho motions for the crowd to shush again and shows a video on the screen. The video stats with his WWF debut. We come back and he is still trying to hush the crowd as they mostly boo.
Jericho finally speaks and says this Sunday at the Royal Rumble, it will be the end of the world as we know it. His music hits, the lights go out and his jacket lights up. We go to commercial.
- Back from the break and the announcers plug Kane vs. Ryder for later. Also to come tonight, R-Truth vs. The Miz. They air a Royal Rumble stats video.
- Zack Ryder and Eve Torres are backstage when Mick Foley walks up. Foley says Kane is an animal but deep down he’s a person inside. Foley says Ryder can do this. Eve doesn’t like Ryder going against Kane tonight but he says he has to. John Cena walks up and starts to offer his help but Ryder tells him to stay out of it, bro.
Falls Count Anywhere Match: Zack Ryder vs. Kane
We go to the ring ad out comes Zack Ryder, still bandaged up. The flames hit next and out comes Kane to the ring.
The bell rings and Ryder strikes first, taking Kane to the corner. Kane fights right out and sends Ryder to the apron. Ryder drops Kane’s neck over the ropes but Kane comes right back with a big boot that sends Ryder into the announcers table. Kane comes out to the floor and works Ryder over, focusing on his injured ribs. Kane rams Ryder into the ring post twice and scoop slams him on the floor.
Kane continues the attack and throws Ryder into the steps. Kane stomps away on Ryder’s ribs as Eve Torres comes down to ringside looking worried. Kane beats Ryder up some more as we go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Kane still has Ryder out on the floor. Ryder goes hard into the fan barrier as Eve looks on. Kane rams Ryder’s ribs into the apron and tosses him back into the barrier. Kane drops Ryder over the steps again and covers him on the floor but Ryder kicks out at 2. Ryder tries to get up but Kane applies his mandible before letting go of the hold. Kane tosses Ryder over the barrier and onto the concrete floor with the fans. Kane takes the assault through the production area beside the stage. Ryder comes back with a case and hits Kane in the head with it. Kane fires right back with a big right hand. Kane takes off the tape from Ryder’s ribs and wails away with right hands.
Kane throws Ryder up on the stage and follows, kicking him in the ribs. Kane tosses Ryder into the big “W” on the stage and continues the attack. Kane covers again on the stage but Ryder kicks out at 2. Kane drops Ryder with a headbutt as the match drags on. Ryder tries to fight back but Kane drops him with a right hand. Kane chokeslams Ryder through the stage. The referee gets down in the hole and checks on Ryder as Eve runs up crying. Kane backs her down the ramp and to the ringside area. John Cena appears on the stage as Kane leaves through the crowd. Eve joins Cena on the stage to check on Ryder. Cena looks on shocked as they bring a stretcher and neck brace out for Ryder as we go to commercial.
- Back from commercial and Ryder is still being loaded onto the stretcher. Ryder is taken out the back and loaded into an ambulance that drives off. Josh Matthews tries to get a comment from Cena. Cena just looks on pissed before smacking the microphone out of Josh’s hand. Cena tries to get real serious and looks right into the camera as we go to commercial.
Sheamus vs. Jinder Mahal
Back from the break and out comes Jinder Mahal followed by his opponent Sheamus. The bell rings and they lock up with Sheamus taking control. Wade Barrett comes walking out early on and joins the announcers for commentary. Sheamus hits the series of forearms on the apron and goes to the top. Mahal stops him and throws Sheamus to the mat. Mahal hits a running knee to the head for a 1 count.
Mahal keeps Sheamus grounded to the mat now. Sheamus fights to his feet and out of the hold. Sheamus drops Mahal with forearm shots and a big plunge. Sheamus goes for the Celtic Cross but Mahal slides out and hits an elbow. Mahal gets caught with the Brogue Kick for the pin.
- After the match, Barrett gets up and heads to the back, smirking at Sheamus. They have words and Sheamus invites Barrett to come into the ring. Barrett gets on the apron but jumps back down when Sheamus approaches. Sheamus takes a mic and says he will be the only one left standing at the Royal Rumble.
- The Miz is backstage with Matthews talking about how all of his partners who crossed him have seen their careers end. Tonight, R-Truth will be no different. Miz says he will win the Royal Rumble and will headline WrestleMania two years ago because he is the #1 Superstar in WWE. R-Truth walks up with a clipboard and says he’s someone from WWE Market Research. The research doesn’t lie – Miz is #1. Truth says Miz is #1 whiny, among other #1 negative things. Truth calls Miz WWE’s #1 jackass. They get in each others face and argue until John Laurinaitis separates them. He’s trying to get ready for his match tonight but can’t concentrate. Laurinaitis says the loser of their match tonight will be the #1 entrant into the Rumble match.
- Still to come tonight, Punk vs. Laurinaitis and up next is Brodus Clay. Back to commercial.
Brodus Clay vs. Heath Slater
Back from the break and we see footage from SmackDown where William Regal and Brodus Clay had a dance off before Clay knocked Regal down. Regal is out on commentary tonight as Brodus and his dancers make their way to the ring.
Heath Slater is waiting at ringside, laughing as Brodus jiggles. Heath comes in the ring but Brodus drops him with a big shoulder. Slater goes for a dropkick but it barely phases Clay. Brodus with a big splash and an overhead suplex. Brodus charges int he corner with a big splash and then his finisher for the quick win.
Winner: Brodus Clay
The Miz vs. R-Truth
Back from the break and out comes The Miz. The loser of this match will have to be #1 in Sunday’s Royal Rumble main event. Out next comes R-Truth.
The bell rings and they go at it. Truth makes a comeback and Miz escapes out to the floor. Truth comes out after him and drops him before bringing it back in the ring. Miz kicks him as he comes back in and kicks him some more. Miz stomps away as the crowd boos. Truth comes right back with a tackle and fires away. Miz ends up knocking Truth hard out to the floor as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Miz drops Truth for a 2 count. Truth fights out of a hold and kicks Miz as he charges in the corner. Truth ducks a clothesline and connects with clotheslines. Truth takes Miz down with a roll up for 2. Truth with a front suplex and another 2 count. Miz counters a big kick and goes for a neckbreaker but Truth counters with a backslide for 2. Miz connects with the backbreaker this time for a pin attempt. More back and forth with counters. Miz drops Truth on his head for another 2 count. Truth comes back out of nowhere with his finisher for the win. The Miz will be #1 in the Royal Rumble match.
- Lawler announces that Zack Ryder has a broken back. Cole shows us footage from earlier of Kane chokeslamming Ryder through the stage.
- We see John Laurinaitis warming up backstage when David Otunga brings him a fax in. Laurinaitis reads the fax and gets pissed off. We see WWE Champion CM Punk walking backstage for tonight’s main event as we go to commercial.
CM Punk vs. John Laurinaitis
CM Punk comes out for tonight’s main event. Justin Roberts introducs John Laurinaitis three times and finally out he comes with Davod Otunga. Laurinaitis enters the ring and says he has some unfortunate news. The fax was from the Board of Directors. Otunga reads the letter and the Board is concerned about Laurinaitis’ judgement when it comes to running RAW, especially when he said he would screw CM Punk at the Royal Rumble. The Board has decided that Laurinaitis’ status as Interim GM is under review. Next week on RAW, Laurinaitis will receive a formal evaluation to determine if he will be terminated or kept on. The evaluation will be conducted by Triple H. Punk chimes in. Punk chimes in and Laurinaitis says this is his wake-up call. Laurinaitis apologizes to everyone for anything he may have done during his tenure. They go back and forth on the mic. Punk hopes Triple H fires Laurinaitis next week and uses Vince McMahon’s line.
Laurinaitis says he’s not going anywhere but the match isn’t happening tonight. Laurinaitis has found a substitute and David Otunga attacks Punk. Otunga hits Punk with clotheslines in the corner. Punk tackles Otunga and locks on the Anaconda Vice. Otunga taps out as Punk stares at Laurinaitis. Punk gets up and walks towards Laurinaitis. Otunga comes from behind but Punk lays him out. Laurinaitis extends his hand to Punk for a shake. Punk shakes his hand but pulls him in and nails the GTS. Punk starts celebrating when Dolph Ziggler attacks from behind with the Zig Zag. RAW goes off the air with Ziggler standing over Punk.
Trivia 1979 – Roddy Piper made his WWF television debut at a taping in Allentown, Pennsylvania...
As PWMania.com reported, WWE will hold an earnings call and announce the latest WWE Network subscrib...
- The We Watch Wrestling podcast will be doing a live show with Dolph Ziggler, featuring his stand-u...
- TNA announced the following: TNA Wrestling Signs American War Hero Chris Melendez to Multi-Year...
- Last December, Chris Hero made his Ring of Honor return at Final Battle, coming through the crowd ...