WWE SmackDown Results – January 24, 2017
– Tonight’s WWE SmackDown opens up with The Miz, Maryse and SmackDown General Manager Daniel Bryan backstage. This leads to a No DQ Lumberjack Match for the WWE Intercontinental Title against Dean Ambrose being made for later.
– We’re live from Toledo, Ohio with Mauro Ranallo, JBL, David Otunga and Tom Phillips. They discuss Randy Orton vs. Luke Harper.
Luke Harper vs. Randy Orton
We go to the ring and our comes The Wyatt Family.
Bray Wyatt heads to ringside to watch the match as we get formal ring introductions from Greg Hamilton. The bell rings and fans start chanting for the RKO. Orton and Harper have words before locking up and going to the ropes.
They go at it and Harper takes control. Orton comes out of a corner with clotheslines. Harper misses a big shot and Orton misses the powerslam. Wyatt watches from his rocking chair as Orton hits the draping DDT. Orton keeps control and takes the fight back to the floor. Orton slams Harper on the barrier and then the announce table. They both go down after a Harper big boot. Wyatt comes over and rolls them both into the ring. We go to commercial.
Back from the break and Harper has Orton grounded. Orton cuts Harper off in the corner and climbs up for a superplex. Orton hits it but Harper kicks out at 2. More back and forth. Orton catches Harper in a big powerslam for another 2 count. Harper catches Orton in a Michinoku Driver for 2. Harper dodges a RKO and rolls Orton up for 2. More back and forth and pin attempts as Wyatt laughs. Harper looks to finish Orton and points out at Wyatt. Orton counters with a roll up for 2. Harper goes for the big clothesline but Orton counters and nails the RKO for the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
– After the match, The Wyatt Family music hits as Bray enters the ring. He grabs Harper and kisses him on the head before dropping him with Sister Abigail. Wyatt and Orton leave together as Harper looks on from the ring.
– Back from a break and WWE Champion AJ Styles will call out John Cena later.
– We go to the ring and Renee Young is waiting to give an interview. She brings out the newest SmackDown roster member, former Women’s Champion Mickie James.
Mickie is doing a version of the crazy chick again. There’s some tension early on as she avoids a question. Mickie says she never stopped WWE. She knocks the women’s revolution and says they almost got away with ignoring her contributions if it weren’t for one person – SmackDown Women’s Champion Alexa Bliss. Mickie says Bliss has been fighting the self-righteousness of the revolution since day one. Mickie goes on and says she has a lot of respect for Alexa. If it weren’t for Alexa, she wouldn’t be standing here right now. Renee asks about helping Bliss cheat to defeat Becky Lynch last week. Mickie says this is not about the revolution, it’s about the return of Mickie James.
Becky’s music hits and out she comes. They brawl in the ring until Mickie retreats and jumps over the barrier. Bliss appears and drops Becky as she comes over the barrier. Mickie and Bliss bring Becky into the ring for the double team now. Mickie says Becky should have learned this from Alexa a while back – always be one step ahead. Mickie’s music hits as she stands tall with Bliss.
– Still to come, a Lumberjack Match main event.
– Back from the break and the announcers plug Royal Rumble weekend on the WWE Network.
– We see footage from last week’s shopping trip with Carmella and James Ellsworth. Carmella isn’t thrilled with any of Ellsworth’s choices so she picks an outfit for him. Ellsworth comes out of the dressing room looking like a Jersey Shore reject. She calls him fabulous and he’s happy.
– Baron Corbin comes out for commentary as we go to commercial.
Battle Royal: Heath Slater, Rhyno, Simon Gotch, Aiden English, Curt Hawkins, Konnor, Viktor, Mojo Rawley, Tyler Breeze, Fandango
Back from the break and we have an over-the-top battle royal with the winner earning a Royal Rumble spot. The bell rings and Rhyno tries to toss Slater. This leads to them eliminating The Vaudevillains.
Slater and Viktor go at it now. Hawkins beats Mojo Rawley down but wastes time. Mojo eliminates Hawkins.
Mojo and Konnor go at it now. Tyler Breeze works on Rhyno. Slater eliminates Viktor but Konnor eliminates Slater with an assist from Viktor.
Rhyno and Konnor brawl now. Breeze and Fandango try to interrupt them. Mojo dumps Konnor and Rhyno. Mojo unloads on Breezango now as they try to double team him. Breeze inadvertently eliminates Fandango with a superkick. Mojo dumps Breeze for the win and the Rumble spot.
Winner: Mojo Rawley
– After the match, Mojo celebrates as we go to replays.
– We see video from earlier today of Nikki Bella and Natalya brawling after Nikki arrived to the arena.
– Still to come, Styles calls Cena out.
– Back from the break and out comes WWE Champion AJ Styles to the ring. AJ points out how Cena is front & center on the Royal Rumble poster but he’s way in the back. AJ calls Cena to the ring and out he comes wearing his new gear.
AJ ends up showing us footage from the NBC “Today” show where AJ was just referred to as “guy from Atlanta” several times by Cena and his co-hosts. AJ says Cena seemed to have forgot that he is “The Phenomenal” AJ Styles, the champ that runs the camp and the one that has held SmackDown since Cena’s been gone. AJ says nobody has missed Cena, nobody. AJ says he didn’t just take Cena’s place, he’s the face that replaced Cena. AJ goes on about how he’s the man on SmackDown, not Cena. AJ calls Cena a “sorry excuse for a wrestler” and Cena smirks. AJ wonders what he has to do to get some respect around here. AJ wonders if he will get it after he beats Cena at the Royal Rumble. AJ says he’s not settling for an inch at the Rumble, he’s taking a foot and putting it in Cena’s ass.
Cena says AJ is a little tense and is complaining about respect tonight. Cena goes on and says AJ’s been hot for like 6 months, he held this place down for over a decade. Cena brings up AJ’s comment on him being a bad wrestler and how he didn’t put in time on the indie scene. Cena says he wasn’t built for the indie scene, he was built for WWE for moments like this. Cena says AJ isn’t even on the level below him. Cena says he gets more done in a day than AJ does in a career. He never talks about what he’s done or his critics, he just earns and shuts mouths. Cena says AJ isn’t a guy from Atlanta, he’s just a guy… just a guy holding onto the WWE Title because Cena lets him. Cena says AJ is so unoriginal. He goes on and says AJ will find out what everyone else knows on Sunday… there’s only one John Cena and he’s a bad, bad man and his time is now. Cena tells AJ to recognize and drops the mic before walking out. AJ looks on as Cena turns on the stage.
– Still to come, Miz vs. Ambrose in the main event. Also, Kalisto vs. Dolph Ziggler. Back to commercial.
Dolph Ziggler vs. Kalisto
Back from the break and Kalisto waits as Dolph Ziggler makes his way to the ring. We see Ziggler attacking Jerry Lawler last week. The bell rings and they go right to work.
Kalisto goes for an early springboard attack but Ziggler superkicks him in mid-air for the quick win.
Winner: Dolph Ziggler
– After the match, Ziggler stands tall as the referee checks on Kalisto. Ziggler goes to ringside and grabs a steel chair. JBL stands up at the announcers table and walks over towards Ziggler but Apollo Crews attacks from the side and drops Ziggler. Crews swings the chair but hits the ring post as Ziggler ducks. Ziggler retreats and makes his way up the ramp as Crews checks on Kalisto.
– Still to come, Naomi vs. Natalya. Back to commercial.
Naomi vs. Natalya
Back from the break and out comes Naomi making her return to TV.
Natalya’s music hits but she doesn’t appear. The camera cuts backstage and we see Nikki Bella attacking Natalya. They brawl as Naomi looks on from the ring.
Naomi takes the mic and says it’s not going down like that tonight. She came to SmackDown because this is the land of opportunity and she’s ready to land her opportunity. She issues an open challenge for anyone who wants to feel the glow. The music hits and out comes SmackDown Women’s Champion Alexa Bliss with a mic. Bliss tells her to calm down. She’s not here to answer a challenge from a nobody. Bliss insults Naomi and asks who she thinks she is. Naomi tells her to come in the ring so she can show her and snatch her blonde hair bald. Naomi says she’s the new SmackDown Women’s Champion. Bliss says if she wants a shot… Bliss jumps on the apron but backs down as fans boo. Bliss says Naomi isn’t even worth her time. She tells Naomi to say hi to obscurity for her. Bliss leaves as her music plays and Naomi looks on.
– Still to come, Miz vs. Ambrose in a Lumberjack main event. We go to commercial.
– Dasha Fuentes is backstage with WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose. He’s going to follow his instincts to get the win tonight and his instincts are to break The Miz’s nose, and there aren’t enough Lumberjacks to stop him from doing that.
Lumberjack Match for the WWE Intercontinental Title: The Miz vs. Dean Ambrose
We go to the ring and out comes The Miz with Maryse. The SmackDown Superstar start surrounding the ring as we go to commercial break.
Back from the break and out comes WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose. We get ring introductions and back & forth to start. Lumberjacks get involved a few times early on. We go to commercial after a 2 count by Ambrose.
Back from the break and Miz is in control after the heels pull Ambrose to the floor. Miz tosses Ambrose back out and he catches another beating from the Lumberjacks. Ambrose is tossed back in and Miz hits a DDT for a 2 count. Miz mocks Daniel Bryan with the kicks to Ambrose as fans do the “no!” chant. Ambrose ducks the final kicks and rolls Miz up for a 2 count. Ambrose with rights and lefts now. Ambrose ends up fighting Lumberjacks off and sending Corbin into the ring post. Ambrose with the Lunatic Fringe elbow for a close 2 count.
Miz gets tossed to the heels. Ambrose nails a dive onto them. Ambrose mounts Miz as we have chaos at ringside with all Lumberjacks gathering. Maryse grabs Ambrose’s leg as he tries to re-enter the ring. Miz takes advantage and nails the big running knee for a close 2 count. Miz with two corner dropkicks. He mocks Bryan again. Ambrose blocks the third dropkick and backdrops Miz to the floor. The babyface Lumberjacks grab him and stop him from escaping over the barrier. Ambrose nails a big splash from the top on Miz and the Lumberjacks.
More back and forth in the ring. Ambrose goes for a pin but Corbin breaks it up. Everyone hits the ring for more chaos. Miz tries to take advantage and roll Ambrose up for 2. It ends after Ambrose hits Dirty Deeds for the pin.
Winner: Dean Ambrose
– After the match, Ambrose celebrates the win as we go to replays. We come back to Maryse checking on Miz at ringside. SmackDown goes off the air with Ambrose standing tall with the title.