- Tonight’s WWE SmackDown opens up with a look back at last week’s show.
– Dean Ambrose is backstage talking to a crew member when James Ellsworth walks in. Ellsworth thanks Ambrose for how he’s helped him recently. Ellsworth says he’s here because he wants to return the favor. Ellsworth wants to be in Dean’s corner when he faces WWE World Champion AJ Styles later tonight. Ambrose thanks him but says he’s not sure it’s a great idea. Ambrose suggests Ellsworth just hang out in the locker room. He stammers and says they will catch up later. Ambrose leaves and fans boo as Ellsworth shakes his head.
– We’re live from Green Bay with Mauro Ranallo, JBL and David Otunga.
No DQ Match: Kane vs. Bray Wyatt
We go right to the ring and out comes Bray Wyatt. We get a look back at last week before Kane makes his way out as the pyro explodes.
The bell rings and they go at it. Kane takes control and hits a low dropkick. Wyatt fights out of the corner and nails a lariat for a quick pin attempt. Kane turns it around with big shots and splashes in the corner. Kane hits the sidewalk slam and goes to the top. Wyatt rolls to the floor and Kane comes down. They meet on the floor and Wyatt plays possum. Wyatt grabs a steel chair but Kane hits him with a right hand and sends him into the steel steps. Kane takes apart the announcers table now.
The lights go out and when they come back on, Luke Harper is on top of the announce table. He boots Kane in the face and nails a big clothesline. Harper stands over Kane as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Wyatt is in control as Harper watches from ringside. Wyatt nails a stiff clothesline for a 2 count. Kane ends up hitting a boot and making a comeback. Harper pulls Wyatt to safety but gets dropped as well. Kane brings Wyatt back in the ring but Harper grabs him from the apron. Kane drops Harper again. Kane turns around to a slam from Wyatt for a 2 count. Wyatt blocks a chokeslam and collides with Kane off the ropes. Randy Orton’s music hits to a big pop.
Orton runs down as Harper watches from in the ring, guarding Wyatt. Harper and Orton stare each other down. Harper backs off and leaves the ring. Kane gets up and readies for a chokeslam. Orton readies for the RKO. They both wait for Wyatt to stand up but Orton drops Kane with a RKO out of nowhere. Wyatt is shocked. There are some boos from the crowd as Orton leaves. Wyatt covers for the pin.
Winner: Bray Wyatt
– After the pin, Harper comes in the ring and stands with Wyatt. Both are shocked as we go to replays.
– Andrea D’Marco is backstage with AJ Styles. She brings up his losses to James Ellsworth. AJ knocks Ellsworth and says without Dean Ambrose, Ellsworth couldn’t lace his boots. AJ says he’s going to re-arrange Ambrose’s face tonight. AJ says Dean will have to be carried out of SmackDown tonight and if he sees Ellsworth, he’s going to be missing more than his chin when he’s done.
– Still to come, SmackDown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch returns.
– Back from the break and Renee Young is in the ring. She welcomes SmackDown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch back and out she comes to a pop. She’s almost immediately interrupted by Alexa Bliss.
Bliss says for someone who just had back surgery, Becky looks great. Becky says she didn’t have back surgery. Bliss enters the ring and tells Renee to leave. Fans chant for Becky. They trade shots on the mic and Bliss calls Becky a world class con-artist, saying she fooled all these people but she won’t fool Bliss. Bliss wonders what Becky’s excuse will be in two weeks before their title match in Glasgow. Bliss takes more shots at Becky and tells her to save everyone the embarrassment by handing over the title to the rightful champion. Becky gets riled up and says she will be in Glasgow to rip Alexa’s arm out of her socket. Bliss says the title is hers in two weeks but in the meantime… Bliss attacks but Becky counters and unloads, taking it to the floor.
Bliss rams Becky back into the ring post. Bliss takes control and launches Becky into the barrier. Bliss brings it back in the ring and drops her with a DDT. Bliss steps on Becky on her way out of the ring. She brings a can of spray-paint back in the ring and paints a yellow line down Becky’s back. Fans boo as Bliss taunts Becky and her music hits.
– Still to come, Ambrose vs. Styles with a title shot up for grabs. Back to commercial.
Survivor Series Qualifying Match: The Ascension vs. The Hype Bros
Back from the break and out come Konnor and Viktor. We get a sidebar video where they say they are the biggest and the best tag team, and they will rise at Survivor Series. Zack Ryder and Mojo Rawley are out next as Greg Hamilton makes the introduction. The winners of the match will go on to represent SmackDown in the 5 team vs. 5 team Traditional Elimination Match next month.
Zack Ryder and Viktor go at it to start. Ryder decks Konnor but gets sent to the floor by Viktor. Konnor tags in and goes to work on Ryder now. Konnor gets distracted and Ryder nails him trying to make a tag. Konnor stops the tag and drives Ryder to the mat. Konnor comes off the second rope but Ryder moves out of the way. Mojo tags in with Viktor and they go at it.
Mojo unloads on Viktor and hits a pounce. Mojo with splashes in the corner. Mojo slams Viktor but Konnor breaks the pin attempt. Mojo sends Konnor into the ring post but Viktor comes from behind. Ryder dodges a move and they hit the Hype Ryder for the win.
Winners: The Hype Bros
– After the match, Ryder and Mojo stand tall as we go to replays.
– Back from a break and Andrea is backstage with Orton. She asks if he cares to explain his actions from earlier tonight. Orton just stares off with his arms crossed. for a minute. Orton says: “If you can’t beat them, join them.”
– Daniel Bryan is backstage on the phone with Shane McMahon talking about Survivor Series. Natalya appears and Bryan mentions she has a match with Nikki Bella tonight. Natalya is worried about RAW stealing SmackDown’s thunder. She suggests she be the Team Captain for the women’s team at Survivor Series. Bryan makes Nikki vs. Natalya for the team captain spot but the loser won’t be on the team at all.
Nikki Bella vs. Natalya
We go to the ring and out comes Nikki Bella. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and out comes Natalya. The winner of this one will be the Team Captain at Survivor Series while the loser will be out of the match. Back and forth until they end up on the floor. Natalya with a big clothesline. Natalya brings it back in the ring and covers Nikki for a 2 count, and another.
Natalya keeps control for a few minutes and shows off after walking on Nikki. Natalya goes on and applies the Sharpshooter but Nikki makes it to the bottom rope. Natalya with a snap suplex. She misses a leg drop. Nikki makes her comeback and hits an enziguri from the corner for a 2 count. Natalya catches Nikki in a Michinoku Driver for a 2 count. Natalya argues with the referee now. Natalya with an inverted surfboard but Nikki gets out. Nikki applies John Cena’s STF for the win.
Winner: Nikki Bella
– After the match, Nikki goes to celebrate but Carmella attacks from behind. Carmella beats on Nikki as fans boo. She hits a Bella Buster and mocks her with the “you can’t see me” taunt. Carmella’s music hits as she leaves and we get a replay.
– Andrea is backstage with Ambrose. He says AJ is right, tonight isn’t about fun and games, it’s about working towards getting back the title AJ stole with a low blow. Ambrose says karma is another word for a female dog and she has something in store for AJ tonight.
– We see The Miz and Maryse walking backstage. They see Kenny and Mikey of The Spirit Squad and nod for them to follow. Back to commercial.
– The Miz and Maryse are out with The Spirit Squad. He rails on Dolph Ziggler until the WWE Intercontinental Champion comes out. They work the mic until SmackDown Tag Team Champions Heath Slater and Rhyno come out. Miz ends up challenging them to a match against The Spirit Squad with the titles on the line.
SmackDown Tag Team Title Match: The Spirit Squad vs. Rhyno and Heath Slater
Back from the break and the match is underway. Ziggler, Miz and Maryse are with the announcers.
Back and forth match. Fans chant for Rhyno throughout. He finally gets the tag and almost gets pinned. Slater comes back in and stops a double team to Rhyno. Rhyno with a close 2 count on Mikey. Miz and Ziggler start arguing at ringside Slater pushes Kenny onto Miz. Rhyno nail a Gore on Mikey for the win.
Winners: Heath Slater and Rhyno
– After the match, all three champions celebrate as we go to replays.
– Still to come, Styles vs. Ambrose. Back to commercial.
– Ambrose approaches Ellsworth backstage and tells him to stop sulking. Ellsworth just wants to pay Ambrose back. He pleads with Ambrose to let him be in his corner tonight. Fans chant “yes!” and Ambrose tells Ellsworth to be careful out there.
Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles
Dean Ambrose, WWE World Champion AJ Styles and James Ellsworth are all out. Ambrose will be the new #1 contender if he wins this match.
Offense from both men early on. Styles ends up dropping Ellsworth at ringside. Ambrose comes to check on Ellsworth but Styles leaps from the ring and takes him out. Styles stands tall as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Styles nails a dropkick on Ambrose. Ambrose goes out and Styles tries to dive out but Ambrose goes back in and Styles lands on the floor. Ambrose runs the ropes for a dive and sends AJ into the barrier. Ambrose brings it back in and keeps control. Ambrose with a fisherman’s suplex for a 2 count. They trade counters and Ambrose gets a Cloverleaf submission applied but AJ gets to the bottom rope. AJ drops Ambrose on the apron and they both tumble to the floor. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and AJ has control in the ring. AJ takes Ambrose up for a superplex but Ambrose sends him to the mat face first. Ambrose with the big elbow drop as Ellsworth cheers him on. They both trade shots again. Ambrose unloads. AJ blocks a suplex and unloads with strikes. Ambrose with a swinging neckbreaker for a close 2 count. AJ counters a superplex and nails a springboard into an inverted DDT for a close 2 count. AJ calls for the Styles Clash but it’s blocked.
Ambrose blocks it again. More back and forth. Ambrose with the bounce back clothesline. Ambrose takes AJ to the top and hits the superplex. The referee counts to 8 but they get up. AJ gets the Calf Crusher applied. Ambrose breaks free by slamming AJ’s head into the mat but AJ tightens the hold. Ambrose finally makes it to the bottom rope. Ambrose sells the leg injury now. AJ turns around and nails a huge basement dropkick to Ellsworth, dropping him on the floor. AJ springboards in but Ambrose kicks him. AJ blocks Dirty Deeds. More counters. Ambrose with a roll up for 2. AJ with a pele kick. Ambrose blocks the Styles Clash and dumps AJ out next to Ellsworth. Ellsworth hulks up and waits for AJ. Ellsworth drops him with No Chin Music as the referee and Ambrose look on. Ambrose begs the referee but the match is called.
Winner by DQ: AJ Styles
– Ellsworth immediately realized his mistake. AJ’s music hits as he recovers and has his arm raised at ringside. We go to replays. SmackDown goes off the air with AJ showing off the title.