WWE Super Smackdown Results – August 31, 2011
- Tonight’s WWE Super SmackDown kicks off with hype for tonight’s matches and the Night of Champions contract signing between CM Punk and Triple H. We go to the normal SmackDown intro.
– And we’re live from Wichita, Kansas as Michael Cole welcomes us to SmackDown. We see the steel cage hanging high above the ring as Cole hypes tonight’s main event for the World Title.
– We go right to the ring and out comes John Cena. Cena hits the ring and welcomes us to Super SmackDown. Cena says the whole roster is here and takes a shot at the XFL. Cena says let’s talk about who’s going to get hurt and brings up Alberto Del Rio. Cena calls out the WWE Champion.
Del Rio’s music hits but out comes Ricardo Rodriguez instead. Ricardo has a message from Del Rio for Cena. Ricardo says Cena will have to wait just a little longer until Night of Champions to see Del Rio. Ricardo starts saying Del Rio’s name over and over, and over and over until Cena tells him to shut up. Cena sends Del Rio a message and drops Ricardo with a right hand. This brings out Cena’s opponent for tonight, Wade Barrett.
Wade Barrett vs. John Cena
Barrett comes out to the stage and says it’s impressive for Cena to beat up a fat ring announcer. Cena says if he wanted to beat up a fat ring announcer, he would beat up Tony Chimel. Barrett talks about the lessons he tried to teach Cena last year. Barrett isn’t trying buying Cena’s tough guy stuff. Barrett says Cena will feel just as pathetic as he did when he was Barrett’s personal slave, when he’s done with him tonight. Cena says what’s pathetic is Barrett taking his kindness for weakness. Cena says he owes Barrett some payback. Cena says Barrett will find out tonight that payback is a bitch. Barrett heads to the ring as we go to commercial.
Back from commercial and the bell rings. Barrett and Cena go at it, going to the corner. Cena stomps Barrett down to the mat and hits a big bulldog early on. Cena allows Barrett to regain his composure and a Cena chant breaks out in the crowd. They lock up and Cena takes Barrett to the mat with a headlock. Barrett tries to make a comeback but Cena drops him. Cena splashes Barrett in the corner and slams him down again. Barrett catches Cena with a big side slam for a 2 count. Barrett works Cena over now until Cena comes back with the shoulders and the big slam. Cena hits the Five Knuckle Shuffle and the Attitude Adjustment for the win.
Winner: John Cena
– We go backstage with Matt Striker and Mark Henry. Henry says he doesn’t care who wins tonight and becomes his opponent at Night of Champions. Either way, they will be a candidate for the Hall of Pain.
– Cole leads us into a preview for SyFy’s Ghost Hunters.
Sin Cara vs. Daniel Bryan
We go to the ring and out comes Sin Cara for the next match. Cara does his entrance as we go to commercial. Back from commercial and out comes Cara’s opponent Daniel Bryan.
The bell rings and they lock up. Cara ducks a clothesline and takes Bryan down with hip tosses. Cara goes to an arm bar now. Bryan catches Cara in mid-air and kicks him out to the floor. Bryan runs and dives through the ropes, knocking Cara back into the fan barrier. Bryan brings it back in the ring for a 2 count. Bryan hits Cara with kicks while he’s on his knees. Bryan drops a knee and gets another 2 count.
Bryan drops Cara in the corner with a kick to the head. Bryan applies a surfboard submission and falls back on the neck. Bryan with more kicks. Cara ducks a kick and dumps Bryan out to the floor. Cara runs the ropes and flips to the apron as Bryan moves. Cara kicks Bryan away and hits a crossbody onto him from the apron. Cara brings Bryan back in the ring, hits a back splash for a 2 count. Cara with kicks and chops in the corner now. More counters until they collide in mid-air with crossbodies and go down.
Cara fires away with kicks. Bryan comes back with a series of rights and kicks. Cara ducks a roundhouse kick and hits a fall away slam. Cara springboards in with a senton and then moonsaults off the other rope for the pin and the win.
Winner: Sin Cara
– After the match, Cara and Bryan shake hands, while Bryan is still on his knees. Cara goes to leave the ring but turns around and kicks Bryan in the head.
– We go backstage with WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne. Matt Striker asks them how it feels to retain the titles after last night. Bourne says they’re going to ride the wave all the way. Kofi talks about being a singles champion compared to a tag champion. Kofi talks about Harlem Heat, The Rockers, Legion of Doom and says if anybody can fill shoes that big, it’s them – Air Boom. Striker does the “Boom Boom” gesture with them.
– Booker T hypes tonight’s contract signing. We see Sheamus making a recent appearance for the “be a STAR” campaign before taking another commercial break.
– We get highlights from the feud between Randy Orton and Christian. Christian is backstage with Matt Striker. Striker asks if he thinks he can beat Orton inside a steel cage. Christian says this is his night. Christian says he’s a fighter and always fights for what’s right, whether people like it or not. Christian calls the fans in Wichita losers. He says he doesn’t need the title to validate his career but he wants to be the champ. He says Orton will find out tonight that Christian always gets what he wants. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Aksana is in the ring. The light goes pink and jazz music plays in the background. She introduces Beth Phoenix and Natalya, who come to the ring.
Beth Phoenix and Natalya vs. Kelly Kelly and Alicia Fox
Aksana introduces WWE Divas Champion and her partner Alicia Fox next. Kelly starts things out with Natalya and they go to the corner. Kelly slaps Natalya and ducks a clothesline. Kelly with a Thesz press. Natalya blocks a move and slams Kelly on her face before tagging in Phoenix for a double team move. Beth covers for a 2 count.
Kelly tries to fight back but Beth overpowers. Kelly slides out and tags in Alicia Fox. Alicia comes in and goes at it with Beth. Beth stops Alicia’s attack and hits the Glam Slam for the pin and the win.
Winners: Beth Phoenix and Natalya
– We see Teddy Long and Triple H walking backstage. Triple H is reading over the Night of Champions contract as we go to commercial.
– Back from the commercial and Teddy Long is in the ring with the table and chairs for a contract signing. Out comes WWE COO Triple H. HHH says after conferring with the Board of Directors, he canceled CM Punk vs. Kevin Nash last night and put him in the match against Punk. HHH says the Board was kind enough to let him take the suit off for one night to deal with Punk. Cult of Personality hits and out comes Punk.
Punk takes a seat and puts his feet up on the table, saying all this is unnecessary. Punk asks Triple H why they’re here. Triple H says last night was a bit unfair and he knows he caught Punk off guard. Punk says no, he did not catch him off guard. Nothing in WWE catches him off guard anymore. Triple H says Punk has disrespected him and his family. Punk tries to talk but Triple H tells him to shut up because he isn’t done talking. HHH says despite Punk disrespecting his family and holding WWE hostage with the title, he tried working with him. HHH says he bent over backwards to work with Punk but that still wasn’t good enough. Triple H asks Punk who he thinks got Living Colour to let Punk come to the ring to Cult of Personality. HHH says he got that done and paid the bill. HHH says he got Punk’s shirt approved that says best in the world. HHH says he gave Punk Nash last night and he still pushed his buttons. HHH says he’s trying his ass off to be the bigger man and the COO around here but he can only take so much. Punk has insulted him as a man, now he has to deal with him as a man.
Punk likes that. He says he wants to face Triple H, not the COO. Punk says the new Triple H sucks. Punk says Vince McMahon couldn’t separate personal issues between business issues and now Triple H is doing the same thing. Punk says he doesn’t hate WWE, he loves this place. If he hated it, he wouldn’t be here. He’d be at home a lot happier. Punk says he wants change. He recognizes when things suck and speaks his mind. Punk says he wants things to be better for everybody. Punk says he is dying for a change. We are dying for a change, he says. Punk wants to be the catalyst for that change. HHH says Punk wants to be the catalyst as long as it benefits him. HHH says about half of the people agree with Punk and the other half could care less what he says. HHH says some people actually like WWE the way it is. Could it be better? Sure, he says, and that’s why he’s here. HHH says Punk only wants change if CM Punk is on top. HHH says Punk is no different than anyone else who has been in this business, including him. HHH says he looked people in the eye and told them he was going to step on them. HHH says Punk is doing it the opposite way, the back door way. Punk says he isn’t trying to be a martyr and isn’t trying to step on anyone. Punk says he wants everyone to like what they see, not just half. Punk wants it to be fun again. Punk says right, he is doing this for himself. Punk says before he became a wrestler, he was a fan, and at his core he is still a fan. Punk says he will do what he knows is for the better and what will make WWE fun again. Punk says he says bad things about Stephanie McMahon because it’s fun but also to push Triple H’s buttons. Punk says Triple H failed, he is just like Vince McMahon. Punk says he thought Triple H and himself wanted the same things but it turns out that Triple H is the same ‘ol vindictive person. Punk says he’s seen it before.
Punk says this match has been a long time coming because they’ve never liked each other. Punk tells Triple H not to fine him or suspend him after he kicks his ass at Night of Champions. Punk signs the contract. Triple H says one of the differences between he and Punk is respect. HHH says he respects Vince McMahon for what he’s done and says they wouldn’t be right here tonight if it weren’t for Vince. HHH says comparing him to Vince is a huge compliment. HHH goes to sign the contract but Punk tells him to hold up. Punk goes on and says HHH has lost touch. He’s the guy who likes to point at his crotch and tell people to suck it. Punk says he wants change. Triple H says if Punk wants change, he’s going to get it. HHH says this is how he’s not like Vince and signs the contract. HHH says Vince would have got in the ring with Punk at Night of Champions and taken a beaten because it’s good for business. HHH says it’s not business between he and Punk, it’s personal. HHH says he’s going to kick Punk’s “skinny fat ass” and drops the mic. The NWO music hits and out comes Kevin Nash.
Punk gets up ready to fight as Nash heads to the ring. Triple H holds Punk back. Nash gets in the ring and they go at it. Punk fires away with kicks and backs Nash in the corner. Nash comes out and drops Punk with an almost-big-boot. Triple H shoves Nash. Nash pushes Triple H and he falls on his ass. Nash stands over Triple H and clutches his fist before walking out of the ring as the NWO music plays.
– Booker T hypes Sheamus vs. The Great Khali, which was originally Punk vs. Khali, as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see a video from during the commercial where Matt Striker tries to get a word with Kevin Nash backstage. Nash just looks at him and keeps walking.
The Great Khali vs. Sheamus
We go to the ring and out comes The Great Khali with Jinder Mahal. Out next comes Sheamus. They lock up and Sheamus applies a headlock. Khali slams him and takes control. Khali with big chops in the corner as Mahal looks on. Khali beats Sheamus down and clutches his neck.
Sheamus fights back with double ax handles and kicks out Khali’s leg. Sheamus traps Khali in the ropes and wails away at his chest with forearms. Sheamus hits Khali with a big running knee on the apron. Sheamus goes up top now and connects with a shoulder block, taking Khali down. Sheamus readies to finish Khali but Jinder Mahal comes in the ring and attacks him for the DQ.
Winner by DQ: Sheamus
– After the match, Sheamus fights Mahal off but he and Khali take control and beat Sheamus down. They throw him out of the ring. Khali slams Sheamus into the ring post. Khali goes for a big chop but Sheamus ducks and he hits the ring post. Sheamus hits a Brogue kick but Mahal comes back over and beats him down. Mahal throws Khali back in the ring and comes in. Sheamus knocks him down and hits the Celtic Cross, sending Mahal out to the floor.
– More hype for the World Heavyweight Title match as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get the trailer for Inside Out.
– The announcers hype tonight’s World Title match as the steel cage is lowered over the ring. Back to commercial we go.
Steel Cage Match for the World Heavyweight Title: Christian vs. Randy Orton
Back from the break and out comes Christian as Tony Chimel explains the rules of the steel cage match. Christian climbs to the top of the cage after entering. Out next comes the World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton to a big pop.
The bell rings and Christian strikes first and goes right for the cage door. Christian fights Orton off and goes to climb the cage. Christian comes off the second rope but Orton dropkicks him in mid-air. Orton with a 2 count as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Orton connects with a big clothesline. More back and forth. Orton counters and hits Christian with a big back drop. Orton drops a knee drop for a 2 count. Orton ends up on the apron between the ropes and the cage with Christian working him over. Christian tries to climb the cage but Orton grabs his ankle. Orton counters in the corner and rolls Christian up for 2. Christian with a spinebuster for a 2 count.
Christian with a neckbreaker and another 2 count. Christian goes to leave through the cage door but Orton pulls him back in and fires away with right hands. Christian counters, drops Orton in the corner and goes to climb out of the cage. Orton stops him with right hands on the top turnbuckle. Orton superplexes Christian back down to the mat and both go down. Another commercial break.
Back from commercial and Christian is crawling out of the cage door. Orton pulls him back in and stomps. Christian charges but Orton throws him head first into the cage. Orton works Christian over, throws him into the cage again and hits a big powerslam. Orton goes for the second rope DDT again but it’s countered again. Orton tries to torpedo Christian into the cage but Christian counters with an inverted DDT for a 2 count. Christian climbs the cage again and Orton comes after. Christian knocks Orton to the mat from the cage wall and hits a huge frogsplash for a 2 count.
Orton drags Christian back into the ring again. Christian readies for a spear but Orton jumps over it. Christian blocks the RKO and connects with a spear for a close 2 count. Christian goes for a running kick in the corner but Orton moves. Christian climbs the cage again but Orton stops him. Orton pulls Christian off the corner and hits a big neckbreaker for a 2 count. Orton blocks Killswitch and connects with the second rope DDT. Orton goes for the RKO but it’s blocked by Christian. Christian climbs the cage again and almost makes it out but Orton pulls him back over. They sit on top of the cage and trade right hands. Christian tries to fall to the floor but they end up back in the ring on the top rope. Orton slams Christian’s head into the cage. Orton hits a RKO from the top rope for the pin and the win.
Winner: Randy Orton
– After the match, Mark Henry comes out and attacks Orton in the cage. Henry torpedos Orton into the side of the cage. Orton tries to fight back but Henry slams him hard to the mat. Henry lands on Orton with a big splash. Orton gets to his feet again and Henry throws him head first into the cage again. Henry hits the World’s Strongest Slam and drops Orton one last time as his music hits. Henry stands over Orton and runs his mouth. Henry snatches the World Title from Charles Robinson as SmackDown goes off the air.