
AJ Styles says his son Avery Styles and Marcus Mathers were never asked to help set up the ring or chairs at the GCW event in Minneapolis, and insists he checked with both wrestlers before publicly defending his son.
The controversy began after Natalya praised 19-year-old Avery following his loss to Mathers at GCW Rude Awakening on August 1. Natalya said Avery was willing to pay his dues rather than receive preferential treatment because he is AJ Styles’ son.
Arik Cannon disputed that characterization, claiming he watched Avery avoid helping with the show. After AJ responded that his son was being paid to wrestle rather than set up and tear down the ring, Cannon claimed Avery had twice been asked to help with chairs and instead remained in the locker room.
Speaking on The AJ Styles Show, Styles gave his version of events and said he wants the subject put to rest. “This is going to be real quick. Again, I don’t want to harp on this. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. It’s all silly.”
Styles disputed Cannon’s role at the event, saying he was part of the crew responsible for setting up the ring rather than the promoter who booked his son. “The promoter that was talking, at least he thought he was a promoter, was not the promoter of the show that my son was at. He was there to set up the ring. He got paid to do this with his crew.”
According to Styles, Avery was never asked to help. “Ave never heard anybody say anything about this. In fact, the guy that he was working with, Marcus Mathers, was like, yeah, no, we never heard anything. All we did was work on our match.”
Styles said Avery and Mathers had driven from Missouri to Minnesota for the event and slept in their car rather than getting a hotel. “They drove from Missouri to Minnesota. They slept in their car. They didn’t get a hotel, they made the drive and made the show the next day. It was an early show. So they wanted to get their match. Never heard anything. Both of them tell me the same story.”
Styles also drew on his own experience working independent shows, saying he had never been expected to help set up a venue when he had been booked and paid specifically to wrestle. “I’ve never helped anybody. They’ve never asked me when I was paid to do a show for them to help them set up. And furthermore, definitely the ring crew guy hasn’t said anything to me. That’s all I’m going to say about it.”
Styles then asked fans who have formed an opinion about Avery because of the controversy to judge his son based on their own interactions with him. “If you are on the fence on whether or not you like Avery and you see him in a show, go up and talk to him. Then decide for yourself.”
Styles said he has raised his children to be respectful and made clear that Avery receives no special treatment from him when it comes to wrestling. “I have raised my kids to be polite and thankful and appreciative. I can promise you this: nobody’s been harder on their kids than me. I don’t play around. I don’t have sympathy for them, especially when it comes to wrestling. They’re not getting that from me. But I will protect their integrity.”
Styles did acknowledge that responding publicly may have helped turn what could have been a private disagreement into a much larger story. “It shouldn’t have blown up like this. It should have been two guys talking to each other like adults.”
He said he initially resisted responding but eventually felt Cannon was attempting to damage his son’s reputation. “Maybe it wasn’t the best thing. Maybe I should have shut up. Probably should have. I didn’t need to bring it up, but I couldn’t help it. I’m a dad. I’m going to defend my son when somebody else is wrong.”
Styles emphasized that he did not simply take his son’s word for it before responding. “And believe you me, I checked on this first before I said anything.”
The disagreement has generated reactions from numerous wrestling figures. GCW previously distanced itself from Cannon’s comments, saying that while the promotion respects him, he was speaking for himself.
Cody Rhodes defended Avery, while JBL characterized the situation as a communication issue and agreed with Brian Pillman Jr.’s position that the dispute should never have been taken online. Matt Hardy expressed a similar view, while Kevin Nash strongly criticized Cannon over the situation.
Avery remains at the very beginning of his wrestling career. The 19-year-old made his professional debut on June 26 and has wrestled fewer than ten matches.
For AJ, the issue now appears closed. While he accepts that responding publicly may not have been the best decision, he stands by the substance of what he said and maintains that he verified the story before defending his son.











